Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Solaria one plus VS Christie CP2220

Author Topic: Solaria one plus VS Christie CP2220
Christopher Lani
Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2014 09:27 PM      Profile for Christopher Lani   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Lani   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am dealing with a 109' throw with a screen that is 38'X16". Seems like the cp220 would be a better choice due the number of lumens and I guess the Solaria has a built in IMB. What do you guys think being that I also plan on running BLu-Ray, Satelliten HD signals and possibly gaming now and then? Also, what gain screen would you recommend?

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-31-2014 05:46 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Solaria One is not bright enough and has fewer lens option than the 2220.
However, the Solaria 2.09-3.9 lens would suffice for that throw and screensize alone.
Get the 2220. If money is short and 3D not intended, get the new 2215.

All Christie machines can be ordered with built-in IMB, yet for the Solaria One it's mandatory, it only comes with Christies own IMB.

BluRay, satellite, gaming, no problem with any DCI machine.

Screen type - depends on wether you want to take on 3D at some time.

- Carsten

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 01-31-2014 09:29 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even the 2215 is insufficient for a 38 ft. screen. This promises to be a great projector but the 2220 is more proven and has enough light. A local fund raising event may be in order.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-31-2014 02:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never, never buy a projector with a dedicated, non-replacable IMB! Thats the dumbest idea anyone has released in this industry. As soon as you buy it someone will release a new format that's not compatible nor will you have any upgrade path.

The gain of screen you install depends on the curve of the existing frame... I was in your theater a coupl;e years ago but I don't remember the screen much. Anyway, 1.0 to 1.2 on a flat frame. 1.4 gain in a moderately or proper digitally curved frame (There are reccomend screen curves for digital to minimise lost pixels and maximize light distribution) to 1.8 on a deeply curved frame. Anything over 1.4 and it's going to hot spot. 1.8 will even hot spot some what but if the curve is deep enough it can be livable if your seatng area is narrower than the screen itself and the seating area starts a good distance away. Anything over 1.8 gain and you can kiss the even illumination digital provides right out the door, and you are going to have a really nasty hot spot. Note that you also loose pixels on deeply curved screens and hence you also loose light.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: