Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Max frame rate for NEC NC2000C with GDC 2001SX non-IMB?

Author Topic: Max frame rate for NEC NC2000C with GDC 2001SX non-IMB?
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-29-2014 02:18 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Deluxe is collecting additional information about our digital equipment, and I'm not sure what is the correct answer to this question.

If I remember correctly, the 2000C/2001SX combination is capable of up to 48 or 60 frames per second in 2D.

I know it can't do the HFR 3D without the IMB upgrade.

So when Deluxe is asking for the max 2D/3D frame rate, what should I list?

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-29-2014 08:24 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's in the specs:

http://www.gdc-tech.com/products_sx2001aspec.php

Easy answer: 24fps/2D, 48fps/3D They will know what that means.

You don't want to tell them what your system COULD do IF it had an IMB?!

- Carsten

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-20-2014 08:29 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is the official answer from GDC, but it seems like this configuration should be capable of playing at least 48fps 2D without any updates. We are essentially playing 48fps when playing 3D content.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-20-2014 09:17 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The specs quote 2048 x 1080 - 24 (2D), 48 (3D)
1920 x 1080 - 29.97 (2D), 30 (2D)

Just because the projector supports up to 48fps doesn't mean your server will do as well. E.g. note the lack of 25fps (2D). It's matter of the server software.

Besides that, there are no plans for 2D HFR. So, I don't see any benefit in communicating capabilities you are not able to assure.

Maybe GDC beefed up their servers over time - you should ask them specifically for higher frame rate support, I guess.

- Carsten

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-20-2014 09:43 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing I'm wonder is if 48fps 2D is not listed because no content has been put out to date using that frame rate.

The main reason I'm probing is because there was some discussion at the drive-in convention about whether there is interest in the industry in playing 2D HFR content if it was made available.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-21-2014 06:19 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found GDC responsive to questions...why not ask them? Then you'll get a definitive answer that you can share with everyone.

You could also make your own test DCP and force a 48fps frame rate (who cares if it looks odd, plays at the wrong speed...you just want to see if it recognizes it and will spit it out to the projector).

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-21-2014 02:00 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did contact GDC and they gave the same information as Carsten posted. But I still wonder if it was just based on a spec that didn't include 2D HFR because there has been no 2D HFR content.

I may try creating a 48FPS clip to see if it will play. I'm really curious about this.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-21-2014 02:24 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One reason they don't quote this capability is that it depends on server and projector combo. The other is that, even if the server technically supports it, it usually is not setup. E.g. 48fps/3D uses a different color coding (10 bit color, YCbCr 4:2:2) in order for HD-SDI to cope with the bandwith need. But the server and projector are not setup for 48fps 10 bit color, YCbCr 4:2:2in 2D. And since there is no content, why bother with it in the first place?

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: