Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Doremi not rebuilding Raid (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Doremi not rebuilding Raid
Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2014 04:49 PM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well thanks for everyone's help so far, however the saga continues. I did the 200 miles trip today to our cinema armed with a 2nd Hand identical Hitachi drive, which I had tested and then wiped the MBR and also an brand new Western Digital Doremi approved 1TB drive. I also took new SATA leads.

I swapped out the leads, booted the server, no change.

I followed the Doremi "repair" process which takes drive "B" out of service, swapped the disk, let it mount that drive and it said "The disc replacement has been successful - The raid is rebuilding" and a green tick

However when you go back to the diagnostic tools, the Raid says it is degraded and no drive info comes up, nor does it say rebuilding raid and a % done
Then I tried removing the Hitachi and swapping for a Doremi approved Western Digital BRAND NEW sealed 1TB drive and did the same process and again it said successful however it did't actually rebuild the raid again.

I looked in the Bios and also did a detailed report which i uploaded to Doremi and received the report back. It did claim it could see either of the new discs with correct serial numbers. However in diagnostic tools a yellow dot and degraded Raid status.

After all that went into drive manage and it said the drive "B" operation not permitted - Device already disabled

I have a photo (not too clear of the screens if that helps

-

Sorry that was a long one. I'm a bit stuck now.

Just out of interest, could I power off the server and fit three brand new matching drives, reboot and try build a raid to see if it can do that. Then if that didn't work simply power down and put the three original drives back in and be back where I was; or would it need to re-register the old drive, so to speak, thus possibly rendering them useless.

Sorry that was a long Post, but any help would be appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Danial Simmonds
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2014 09:56 PM      Profile for Danial Simmonds   Author's Homepage   Email Danial Simmonds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's weird i never encountered this yet.

Anyway, replacing all 3 hard drives with identical ones, you can reinitialize the Raid, but this would make the server start fresh with no content in it.

If it doesnt work in the GUI, you could try to reinitialize using the terminal code sh /doremi/sbin/reinit_raid.sh

Refer to the installer manual it will have the instructions there.
reinitialize is not a raid repair.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-29-2014 12:18 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming you have a TMS or the content backed up somewhere, really your best bet is to just re-initialize the raid and be done with it. Just back up your files first because they WILL be gone if you do this.

MENU / SYSTEM / TERMINAL
Type: su <ENTER>
Type the super user password which I will not post here <ENTER>
Type: sh /doremi/sbin/reinit_raid.sh <ENTER>
After a 10 second countdown, enter raid size “3”
The script will check disk status, size coherency, shut down services, etc. Let it do its thing until you reach “raid re-initialized”.
Type: more /proc/mdstat <ENTER>
Verify md1 = active raid 5
Verify md0 = active raid 5

MENU / DOREMI APPS / DIAGNOSTIC TOOL / Storage folder
Verify all 3 hard drives are green.
At the top of the screen “/data” and “/opt” will typically be orange. After several minutes a popup will appear “the RAID partition is now healthy”.
You may now re-ingest content.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-29-2014 08:11 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not exactly sure wether I really understood the procedures and timing involved - but it is natural that RAID repair will take quite a long time to finish, and for this time RAID status will still have to be degraded.

If you don't care about content on the drives, go ahead as the others advised and reinit the RAID completely. If you do care, insert the DOREMI supported drive, reboot, and try another repair and give it some time to finish (over night).

Take your time and read the manuals.

- Carsten

Gary Benn
Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2014 08:15 AM      Profile for Gary Benn   Email Gary Benn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten, Thanks for your reply.

When the raid is re-building a drive the status should change from degraded to "Rebuilding 33%" where the % being the percent completed. This is not happening in Steve's case.

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2014 12:07 PM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Will have to make a return visit and further investigations. Will update you with any news. If anyone else has further thoughts I'd appreciate it.

Brad- sorry for the double post; as I posted my PC hung on the original thread (twice) so I thought I would restart. As it happened it did post after all. I wont do it again!

Amanda Mundin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2014 04:23 AM      Profile for Amanda Mundin   Email Amanda Mundin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our diagnostic tool screen looked like the 2nd photo recently, it had no information next to Device Model, Serial Number & Firmware Version the same as your picture, and when we tried to do a RAID rebuild it went through the rebuild menu and gave us the green tick like your 1st photo, but did nothing, and didn't bring up the rebuild (%).
We switched the internal SATA cable to an old yellow one, rebuilt the raid with the existing drive and it has worked since.

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2014 12:02 PM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Amanda, upon my return perhaps i will try both the original cables and get some more new ones too.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-30-2014 08:43 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW - there is a nice and complete overview of all Doremi RAID conditions and how to solve them in this training-pdf (RAID issues from page 254):

http://support.doremitechno.org/images/Portal/Cinema_Players/Resources/doremi_training_slides_20121121.pdf

- Carsten

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2014 11:02 AM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, that helpful Carsten.

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2014 03:22 PM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the next step in this saga is a return visit to the site this week, armed with three brand new doremi approved drives. So just to confirm with people who have tried this. All i need to do is swap the drives out, rebuild the raid and re-ingest content, right? All the macros, settings, I.P. details and 3D setting etc will still be in place as before?

I do plan to do a backup of all those to a USB stick too (as I know the normal backup in stored on the RAID)

Rebuilding the raid I presume automatically re-creates the two partitions the(md0/data and md1 /opt) itself?

Regards

Steve

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-08-2014 04:03 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, just reinitialize and it sets up both logical partitions. The macros, network settings, controlview stuff, and probably more are on the flash drive and don't get deleted. I'm not so sure of the playlists but I think they are OK as well.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-08-2014 04:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, see my post above.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-08-2014 08:18 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can initialize from diagnostic tool as well, or use the terminal command - same result. The only thing to keep in mind is that it will take maybe 5 hours to complete initialization. If a site tech has to do this I suggest they start it after the last show, it will be done in the morning and if there's a problem then time remains to do it over.

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2014 12:58 PM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trouble is i am projecting at my cinema the night before, so going over early next day and possibly stopping over. the plan is to put new discs in so if something does not work and can revert to old ones instead.
I will be doing through the diagnostics, Brad, unfortunately the installer has changed the su password from the normal one and wants to charge a fortune to change it back. I can get into diags with admin password.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: