Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » master volume knob static

Author Topic: master volume knob static
Bernardo McLaughlin
Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2014 04:59 PM      Profile for Bernardo McLaughlin   Email Bernardo McLaughlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having some audio issues. The master volume control knob on our Pyle Pro PYP-1 stereo pre-amplifier is making some static noise when turned, and in some cases the knob seems to catch and the volume far diminishes below what it ought to be, sometimes to the point of almost no output. Any tips?

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 01-12-2014 06:18 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps it just needs to be cleaned. Do they still make that spray-on TV Tuner Cleaner stuff? I used to be able to buy it at Radio Shack.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-12-2014 07:18 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use the MG chemicals cleaner with lubricant on pots i think it is tradenamed nu trol

Bernardo McLaughlin
Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2014 07:30 PM      Profile for Bernardo McLaughlin   Email Bernardo McLaughlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Think we'd have to remove the knob to clean it properly? It's not clear to us how to do that properly.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-12-2014 09:34 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to open the chassis and spray it into the pot then work it back and forth

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-13-2014 06:12 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WD40 is the best contact cleaner.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-13-2014 11:46 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think "with lubricant" is the main thing to look for -- I remember mistakenly using "Electronic Cleaner" on a volume control (not theatrical, in a home amplifier) but that stuff is just alcohol, it just dries everything out and makes the problem worse over time.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 01-13-2014 01:47 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
WD40 is the best contact cleaner.
I'm not entirely sure, but I've been told that you should NOT use WD-40 as contact spray, because it contains stuff that doesn't evaporate and will end up clogging up your pots.

I would go for something that's actually qualified for use with electronics, there are tons of brands out there.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-13-2014 02:32 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
because it is a wiping contact on carbon it needs a lubricant i worry about some of the other things in wd40 attacking some of the parts and plastics in a pot but MG chemicals nutrol has been around for years

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-13-2014 08:40 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Put Wd in RCA tube preamps in the 1970s and 20 years later never had static again. Read ALL of the labels and see if you don't agree. louis

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2014 08:43 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best contact cleaner I ever used was some stuff called "Cramolin Red" & "Cramolin Blue"
(I think one had lubiricant and the other one didn't.) But they re-formulated it about
a dozen years ago because some of the chemicals in it were considered too
envionmentally unfriendly. The new forumla had some less toxic ingredients, but IMO
the new stuff never worked as well as the original product.

I liked this stuff so much that when they first banned it for sale in the USA, I was
able to 'smuggle' two cases of it in from Canada. I still have a few cans left.
(And that might explain the hole in the ozone layer directly above my house)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: