Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Christie Cine IPM-2K not retaining ratios

Author Topic: Christie Cine IPM-2K not retaining ratios
Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2014 11:18 AM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't use this device, very often (fortunately) but when I do, it generally lets me down.

I had a public screening today of a film on theatrical Blu Ray, which in the last week I had tried first to ensure that the channels were defined correctly and it fit my screen perfectly on both occasions. It was tested again last night before I went home and again fine. Today i open with the audience in (same disc, same blu ray player) and the flipping imaged spilled on all sides of the screen; way onto the top masking and even about a food either side.

Does anyone else have endless problem with this, if anyone else still uses it? I have tried to store channels that I thought were working, but when something like that happens when i thought it was going to be plain sailing, really stump me.

Do any other users have any advice that would help me to make sure that it actually displays the same image size at least twice in a row?

|  IP: Logged

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2014 05:25 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure your logged in and saving the desired ratio?

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2014 10:37 AM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as i knew id save the channel yes. I can only presume for some reason it loaded the wrong channel?

Carl Hetherington
Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2014 05:57 PM      Profile for Carl Hetherington   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Hetherington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always found the Cine-IPM to be a cross-your-fingers kind of thing. One speculative thing that I tried (but was never sure if it made a difference) was to un-tick "Auto Source" for every channel to try to make sure that it wouldn't choose any channel except the one you set.

Also I had a hunch that getting the DVD player (or whatever) switched on and outputting some signal (even if it's only the player's menu) before selecting the Cine-IPM channel was a good idea.

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2014 11:34 AM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that auto source is a real pain. The worry is i have a festival in a few weeks with a few titles from dvd /blu-ray and with every one being a different ratio, even with the ipm locked you can never be sure what will be on screen until you open the dowser. The silly thing is for the last 5 years i used my old sanyo xp200 for any dvd showings and you could guarantee that would be right every time (admittedly i had to rehearse to know how much to zoom and write a script) however it never let me down)

I get the feeling that this IPM is just cross your fingers, close your eyes and pray for it to be somewhere near right!

Carl Hetherington
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2014 01:34 PM      Profile for Carl Hetherington   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Hetherington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty much. There are rumours in the manual that you can connect a monitor to one of the DVI outs (?) but we never got it to work (albeit only with brief attempts). At least then you could see what it was about to screw up before the audience did!

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2014 11:33 AM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that function only works (dual screens) if you can find a 2K monitor for the connection (which are super expensive); or perhaps have a 2nd projector just happen to be kicking around as a preview monitor!

Gary Benn
Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2014 02:25 PM      Profile for Gary Benn   Email Gary Benn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We now have a 2K preview monitor so we can check the ratios before opening the dowser. :-)

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 03-19-2014 04:44 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What model of monitor are you using, and how much did it cost? Is there any way to connect a small, cheap monitor to it, some sort of scaler down to a lower resolution maybe.

I've found it to be pretty good with analogue signals, both RGBHV and Y,Pb,Pr, but rather limited for digital sources. Finding a suitable, afordable and small preview monitor is a problem however.

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2014 07:14 AM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we put a 2k dell monitor which was 2nd hand from ebay on ours, it was cheapish as its case was marked, however it's nearly £400 new; can't remember the model without looking when I'm next there

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: