Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » HI-VI DCPs

Author Topic: HI-VI DCPs
Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2013 05:48 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I came across a DCP recently which had a HI-VI specification. I looked it up and found out that HI-VI = Hearing Impaired/Visually Impaired audio.

My question: is it possible to play this DCP without the HI-VI audio turned on? I haven't seen an option in Doremi for enabling/disabling audio tracks and it is my understanding (or at least my presumption) that each DCP only contains 1 audio track (specified in the filename) and it would require a VF file to change it.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2013 10:58 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a standard 6-channel audio system, you don't have to worry about HI/VI, as these are recorded on channels 7 and 8. You can play back the DCP just like any other and you will not hear the extra channels.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-23-2013 01:14 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to add to Ken's comment, if you are using 7.1 sound, you just need to be sure your channels are properly mapped so you do not get descriptive audio out of the rear surrounds.

Also, the HI-VI track is almost always included in the default 5.1 DCP. Relativity is the main studio which does not make Descriptive Audio available. To date I have not seen it on any of their releases. It is also missing on some Weinstein releases.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: