Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » 3D polarizers from China

Author Topic: 3D polarizers from China
Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-20-2013 08:24 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else been contacted by these guys
http://www.qpx-tech.com/html-en/product-epUKgRBGZVCc-Only-8KG-%26-US%243800%2FSET-Cinema-Passive-REALD- 3D-Polarized-Modulator-for-Cinema.html?
I have my doubts that Real-D will smile on an installation with it, but is there any actual patent protection for their system? Electrically switched liquid crystal polarizers have been around for quite a while, and is how LCD displays work. These guys using the "Real-D" name seems a bit off anyway.

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-20-2013 11:58 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RealD might have some patents on their particular implementation, but the basic technology behind the ZScreen has been around for ages and many viable patents expired some time ago. The XPand3D Passive system for example, uses an assembly not unlike the RealD ZScreen.

Still, that doesn't allow them to use the RealD trademark as they please.

But then again, Chinese manufacturers don't give a damn about patents or trademarks anyway.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-20-2013 02:59 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The guys putting up that page probably do not know the difference between a technical term and a brand name.

I can't count these Z-Screen clones anymore - without any patent issues, 4 systems with the same functionality as RealD Z-Screen are available in europe - Depth-Q, Volfoni Smart Crystal Cinema, XPAND Passive Modulator, MasterImage Wave3D. And these are only the systems actively sold/supported by major european integrators.

Volfoni even have their own variant of the RealD Z-Screen XL system - the Smart Crystal Diamond: http://diamond.volfoni.com/

- Carsten

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2013 11:02 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And here we add to the confusion. There's no such thing as a "Z-Screen XL." You have either a Z-Screen OR an XL. [Smile]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-23-2013 11:15 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Its just another half-baked cheap knockoff from China. What really caught my attention on the page was that they claim it is 19%. If it is really only 19% efficient, then they are probably being honest about it, but then again if it is only 19% efficient, then that's freakin' awful.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-23-2013 08:37 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seriously doubt it even has coated optical windows like the Real-D stuff does. The efficiency depends on the transmissivity of the filters. There are actually meters that can accurately measure that and I happen to have one I use to test port glass. So if anyone has one of these I can make meaningful measurements for you. Still... if they would send you one to try to your satisfaction I would at least try it. If they want your $$ up front then steer clear.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-24-2013 06:32 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
19% compared to a Real-D Z-screen is actually a little better...which is only about 15% transmissive.

The question is...where did the number come from and who has verified it? People can say most anything they want...backing it up is another matter. After all, who has the BEST projector? Just ask em! [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: