Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby DSS200 and FTP servers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dolby DSS200 and FTP servers
Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-17-2013 05:31 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A DSS200 user was trying to load content from a Synology NAS - which didn't work. Login and directory listing was possible from the DSS200, but actual content transfers gave an error.
He set up filezilla server on a windows machine and got the same result. The connection logs do not show specific issues.
The FTP client on the DSS200 GUI has very little configuration options.

He is sure that file access rights are set correctly - he can FTP into the synology with the same account from a windows client and transfer data this way.

Any idea what could be the reason?

Anyone using the Dolby FTP client successfully with Filezilla?

- Carsten

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-17-2013 07:08 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it an issue of active vs. passive mode? Do the servers support both? Is there a firewall/packet filter in the network somewhere?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-17-2013 07:43 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure you are connecting through the Theatre Network port.

Francois Bouzigues
Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2013 10:49 AM      Profile for Francois Bouzigues   Email Francois Bouzigues   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Retro ingesting (from dolby to the nas) is tricky. Try get the contents from /generatedPackages/ and not /

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2013 02:50 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the OS on the Synology?

I had long discussions with Dolby support about NAS units that would work easily with Dolby servers.

The short version is that NAS units running LINUX or a manufacturer specific OS will be difficuly or nigh on impossible to get working properly. NAS units running Windows Server will be (and we've proven this) easy. The rationale was to do with security protocols.

Mattias Mattsson
Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2013 09:44 PM      Profile for Mattias Mattsson   Email Mattias Mattsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is probably due to setting the default gateway of the DSS200 wrong. It should normally be set to an adress on the theatre network or be blank.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-18-2013 09:57 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This still sounds like a firewall or active/passive mode issue to me, since the directory listing works, but data transfers do not. Does the server support both active and passive mode and is it on the same subnet as the server, with nothing between them? If they are on the same subnet, the gateway address will not matter. Is everything else on the network configured correctly (no duplicate IP addressees, correct netmasks for everything, etc.)?

Windows vs. Unix server shouldn't matter. The ftp daemon might, though, so tell us what it is. Pro-FTPD is probably the most commonly used server (and among the most highly configurable), but there are lots of others as well.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-19-2013 12:00 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marco Giustini
Make sure you are connecting through the Theatre Network port.
Wrong. It doesn't matter. Either will work.

quote:
Retro ingesting (from dolby to the nas) is tricky. Try get the contents from /generatedPackages/ and not /
No it isn't tricky...but you must get it from the /generatedpackages folder as noted above. Just grab the appropriate folder (named with the uuid) and pull via BINARY on your FTP client. Don't try with "auto" or "ascii".

quote: Mattias Mattsson
This is probably due to setting the default gateway of the DSS200 wrong. It should normally be set to an adress on the theatre network or be blank.
Wrong. The default gateway of the DSS200 is for reaching the outside world and will almost always be x.x.x.1 Assuming you are on the same physical network, your computer simply needs to be on an unused IP. For example, if the server is at 10.10.10.10 then set your computer pulling the package on an unused IP such as 10.10.10.11 or 10.10.10.12 or 10.10.10.13 (whatever isn't already being used). Definitely make sure all equipment in the projection network is on and fully booted, then try to ping the "unused IP" before you arbitrarily decide to use it or you might have all sorts of "not fun" headed your way.

I've never used a Synology NAS, so I can't help with the specifics of that.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-19-2013 06:29 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But shouldn't Filezilla on a windows machine work as an ingest source? I'm talking about pulling content from the NAS, not from the Dolby.

Strange that both methods, get from NAS and get from Filezilla, do not work, although directory listing is possible.

I told them to look into the connection logs, but there are no specific error msgs visible.

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-19-2013 06:45 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Scott, if file listings work, but data transfer isn't happening, it is most likely an active FTP issue and you should check if there is some firewall active on the FTP server or in between if both aren't in the same subnet.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-19-2013 07:25 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Makes sense to me.

Edit: I asked them, they tried both active and passive mode. NAS and Dolby are connected through a simple Gigabit switch.

Filezilla <-> NAS works. Filezilla ftp client -> Dolby FTP server (put content) works.
The NAS has no FTP client, so putting content on the Dolby from the NAS is no option.

It's a Synology Diskstation, DSM 4.3

Opening the connection to the NAS from the Dolby works, content is displayed.
Starting a transfer with the arrow key, however, delivers a "failed: content not found" under 'copy progress'.

They will try another NAS now. I don't care about the NAS. I have trouble to understand why Dolby and Filezilla will not work together. Isn't there anyone here using that combo?

- Carsten

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2013 09:34 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Filezilla to push onto Dolby servers almost every day. I have tried Filezilla server briefly once and never got it to work.

I've tried various NAS units and oy got those running windows Server to work. A friend at Dolby told me he had got a Linux based NAS to work but had to hack the OS somehow.

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2013 10:05 AM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have Filezilla Server running on a Xp pc. Shows up in the network page of the dolby soft (we just copy content from that drive to dolby not the other way around).

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-19-2013 12:42 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kris - just to get that right - you connect TO the Filezilla Server FROM the Dolby? That is, you start the content transfer FROM the Dolby?

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-19-2013 01:20 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Wrong. It doesn't matter. Either will work.
Almost correct.
The client you use will work. On other clients - i.e. Filezilla - you'll need an Active connection for the FTP to work through the Auditorium port. The "quickconnect" establishes a passive one.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: