Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » LIve stream lip sync problems

Author Topic: LIve stream lip sync problems
Burleigh Ibbott
Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2013 03:19 PM      Profile for Burleigh Ibbott   Email Burleigh Ibbott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi There
We have a barco DPK 10sx with the showvault doremi server. Linked to this is a Icecrypt S4000HDPVR. We showed Royal Opera House The Nutcracker tonight. When we had test shows it went fine but during the transmission we notice a frame jumps during the perormance this intern has given it a lip sync problem that is quite noticable. Does anyone have any ideas why this happens? My other tech thinks it because when we record the show while playing it on its internal hard drive it can not handle busy scenes.
Any ideas?

Burleigh

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-12-2013 06:03 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not familiar with that particular PVR/SAT receiver, but do you notice the same behavior if you record and play a high bitrate / Full HD Free-To-Air stream too? And did you check the recording? Is the same sync issue present there too?

Paul Willmott
Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2013 04:00 PM      Profile for Paul Willmott   Email Paul Willmott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many cinemas using this Icecrypt receiver have had problems - and yes your tech is probably right that it might be struggling to record all the data. Make sure you have the latest firmware and that there is plenty of space around the receiver so it stays cool. If it goes out of sync you can usually get it back again by changing channel and then back again but that is not really useful in the middle of a screening (unless there is a suitable interval)!
PM me if you want to discuss - we are just down the road from you!

Paul

Steve R Pike
Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2013 02:02 PM      Profile for Steve R Pike   Email Steve R Pike   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We sometimes have these issues too - especially if the signal blips for a second.

I find that the suggestion of changing channels works. I always think of it like the Sky box at home - sometimes going up one channel then back down re-syncs the box.

We recorded the MET on Saturday and had tiny blips of signal interference due to the very strong winds outside. However what I did notice is that if the picture was out of sync, the Icecrypt corrected the sync automatically after a few seconds.

You probably are aware of it already, but the team that broadcast the majority of the satellite shows (Met, NT etc) have a web blog which lists any problems being encountered that could affect your signal. Website is satfacts.wordpress.com. This is very useful if, for example, you loose signal or sound - chances are it's to do with the feed from New York or London and they will inform you of this (so you can brief your Front of House manager just in case they are questioned!). Works well for us .

Burleigh Ibbott
Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2014 12:56 PM      Profile for Burleigh Ibbott   Email Burleigh Ibbott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks for all your reply's, our next one is Coriolanus at the end on this month.

I will look at all the suggestions made.

By the way if any of you do have icescript make sure at each recording that you take the default of 120mins recording time off and extend it.

Burleigh

Burleigh Ibbott
Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2014 07:59 PM      Profile for Burleigh Ibbott   Email Burleigh Ibbott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We found the problem. Even though it recorded ok when played to the barco we had the problems. On discovery the Kramer at 1080p 23.98hz it suppose to be 25hz plus the projector cannot see 50hz as it's American so it was trying to control the satellite box

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: