Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » cp2230 v nc3200s v dp2k - 32b (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: cp2230 v nc3200s v dp2k - 32b
Fernando Caldeira
Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2013 10:08 AM      Profile for Fernando Caldeira   Author's Homepage   Email Fernando Caldeira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie, Nec or Barco. Witch one is the best?

Wold very much like to read your experiences with these models.

I´m about to buy one of them.

What say you?

If this has been discussed some were else in this forum please redirect me.

Thank you.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-12-2013 12:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should see the same reliability factor out of any of those three from an operating standpoint. Texas Instruments after all makes the main components, ICP, DMD's (and formatters for some) for all three brands! Christie and NEC use very similar xeon rectifiers. You have to look at other issues and the solutions that each brand offers you. In my case I did almost all my installs in arid desert areas that are very dusty. Neither Christie or BARCO have sufficient air filtration on the air intakes for this area but NEC does. Barco uses a fine metal mesh screen air filtration (and NEC also offers them as an option) but the amount of filtration the mesh provides is almost worthless in the Desert Regions of the USA. NEC uses HEPPA air filters on All air intakes. Christie uses HEPPA on their electronics air intake ONLY and no filtration on their lamphouse air intake. I have literally seen popcorn oil dripping from the rear lamp support in Christie Digital projectors!

As far as light output... BARCO, Christie then NEC. However if you use any projector within it's design specifications you will be fine as far as screen brightness and lamp brightness over time. Some times the extra light available is just wasted, unless you will be running 3-D. I have had a couple of instances where a certain projector-lamp combination provided too much light and you have to waste that light to get down to the required screen brightness. This was with the smallest lamp available for that projector. Light efficiency isn't everything in this buisness!

Warranties are all about the same and all can be extended, at least in the States they can be.

Light engines are easy to swap in all three brands.

Barco uses an electronic key called a Dallas Key. If you loose it you can not reset your projector if some one removes a cover. Christie and NEC just use a password you type in. I much prefer the latter use of a password even though I carry my own Dallas Key. The theater's Dallas Key ALWAYS gets lost n the booth somewhere or the manager locks it up in the key cabinet and forgets it's there or someone steals it. All BARCO's can utilize the same Dallas Key or a different one or multiple keys. All Christie and NEC brand specific pass codes that are easy to remember.

Projector control software is readily available and some argue that Communicator is more comprehensive then DCC is... which is true. Well, if you just learn to use the T.I. ICP Control program instead, that's as comprehensive as a control program gets... should you even need something that comprehensive. The same T.I. control program applies to all three brands.

One thing on Christie. They use a small touch panel monitor that runs the long obsolete Windows CE operating system and if that monitor fails your projector is down till you get another TPC. Barco and NEC use an internal CPU to operate the projector. NEC includes an LCD display right on the projector. Barco offers a small "Communicator" touch screen monitor as a rather pricy option. It isn't necessary though and you can monitor all the projectors in a complex from a PC running the specific manufacturers control software anyway. Christie uses the TPC for all setups and adjustments which is included with each projector sold.

Here is a picture of a lamphouse end of a BARCO DP-2000 that was installed in 2009 in a theater n Bakersfield, CA and saw about 2 years of use... There was enough dust to be able to write in it. The rest of the optics were also this dirty! The entire projector had to be dismantled and cleaned before it was re-installed at a new location. Keep in mind if the air handling system in a given building filters the outsde air comming in really well you won't see this happen as fast... but it is still going to happen...

-

I hope some of this helps!

Mark

Fernando Caldeira
Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2013 03:07 PM      Profile for Fernando Caldeira   Author's Homepage   Email Fernando Caldeira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply.
The projector will be used in 15m wide mate screen.
Right now we are using an old barco dp90 that we will transfer to
To a smaller room were it will be very usefull.

My main concern is in image quality and of course reliability.

The barco survived for almoast 10 years in this booth and is still running smoothly.

I'm also concerned about the christies imb running on windows. We are mainly a festival venu and i kinda trust doremi. Not shure how christies imb will cope with home made dcps and wierdly formated drives.

Also will be doing some 3d premiers and barco's 7k lamp with its 300 hour time life is not very smart money. Changing bulbs every 3 moths or so, is absurd.

Until now nec seems the best choise economicly and my dealer is ofering a 5 year warranty. So the question is; is christie that much better than nec? Is its light and picture so diferent than its competition?

Sorry for the spelling hope its readable

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-12-2013 06:29 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An existing Barco is at least one reason for another Barco, same for an existing Doremi.

Imagewise, all DLPs within the same class show the same image quality. Even side by side you won't notice a difference, all other aspects identical.

3D?

- Carsten

Fernando Caldeira
Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2013 04:46 AM      Profile for Fernando Caldeira   Author's Homepage   Email Fernando Caldeira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi carsten,
Yes we will be doing 3d. Mainly premieres. We already have the xpand sistem. The dp 90 obviously can't handle it.

I would love to do a side by side coparison between the three. But that is completely impossible so i will gladly trust your word on it.

Fernando

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-13-2013 06:48 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most relevant parts of these machines, concerning image quality, comes from TI and are the same across the three manufacturers. There a slight differences in the optical path, but after all, same imager size and lens, they will look identical. It's really more about the handling, servicing, and other logistical issues. Even if the DP90 is old, your staff will still value identical aspects in handling. And sure enough a Barco is not a bad choice anyway.

At that screen size, there is no need to choose an exceptional high brightness machine, nor one of the cheaper 0.98" or S2k machines. Contrastwise, the proven 1.2" 2k DLPs are still the best option.

With 3D in mind, you should choose the optimal lamp/brightness combination for your screen size and 3D system. That is probably the most important part.
You should aim for 7-10fL, not the mediocre 4.5 that some installers still suggest.
And the system should be able to keep that brightness over most of the lamps lifespan. Balancing the right 2D and 3D brightness within the operating limits of the xenon lamp is the key aspect.

- Carsten

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-13-2013 09:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I agree with Carsten that the 1.2" projetors spec. out with better contrast range the images I see comming off the small Barko and NEC "look" far superior to the .89' and 1.2" projectors. And that may be due to the smaller lenses being much easier to grind and manufactrure. The lenses themselves may also be of much higher optical quality as far as MTF curve and coatings. I have to admit that I was astounded the first time I saw a picture off an NC-900.

Mark

Fernando Caldeira
Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2013 05:10 PM      Profile for Fernando Caldeira   Author's Homepage   Email Fernando Caldeira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But i need the "big ones" to get the 7FL in 3D. need the 30k lummens.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-14-2013 05:20 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to agree with what Mark said on most of his comparisons here.

Things I'd point out...generally speaking, NEC comes in about 20% less efficient on light than the other two major brands. Color wise...it stars off furthest from where you want to go. As Mark points out, however, it is the only one that really filters the air going to the lamp though.

While we are on light still...NEC does not have a motorized lamp adjust option though that may not be a factor for you. Since you are doing 3D though...there is no way to have the same lamp do 2D and 3D and have the light levels where you'll want them. So if you plan on doing lamp changes between formats...this can be a factor:

Christie has the best lamp alignment of them all...it is fast and very accurate so going between 2D and 3D can be quite fast...just have to wait for the lamp to cool.

Barco has a separate lamphouse so you can have a 2D and 3D lamphouse. The lamphouse has the board that stores the lamp information so as one changes the lamphouse, the projector will know what is installed. With a separate lamphouse, you have an inherent spare in the event of a catastrophic failure.

For the point of "Service" Barco really stands ahead of the rest. They have everything very well laid out and everything is very modular. One does not need to cut themselves up or contort to get most any part out. While the other two do a better job of sending the projectors from the factory converged well, Barco is BY FAR the easiest to converge. Likewise on the bore-sight (aka Sheimpflug) is the easiest to adjust on the Barco but followed closely by Christie (Christie has one rock the lens mount upon two axises while Barco has a spring loaded mount that allows pretty precise alignment. NEC's is a nightmare in the lateral direction and odd in the vertical direction.

Moving over into image quality...NEC and Christie use Minolta lenses, just about exclusively (NEC has some InVision lens options). Barco, on the 1.2/1.38", use primarily InVision but has some Minolta. While all brands have their good and bad batches, most techs will tell you that if you had a random batch of 10 lenses from each manufacturer, they would reach to that Minolta batch first.

People tend to have less repeatability on InVision lenses (zoom on the 1.2"/1.38"). InVision also have very heavy lenses that are far more likely to exaggerate any shakes making their way to the projector. Since the lenses are gripped so far back, particularly on the Barco, this can cause issues with Barco's flimsy lens mount on the B series. Note, Barco has come out with a new lens mount to address the shakes. The jury is out on if they have addressed it sufficiently. I have had steady B Barcos and unsteady B Barcos. This is not to say that I have not had random issues with the others but there is more than a trend on a Barco B series with an InVision lens. I have not tried the new lens mount yet on the B Barcos.

Christie is the fastest format to format lens change...BY FAR. It is almost instant it is so fast...and it hits its mark pretty much every time. That despite having the cheesiest motorized zoom system of them all (it involves plumbing pipe clamps and plastic gears!).

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-14-2013 05:34 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
From a service standpoint, Christie absolutely wins. We see the least issues hands down coming from Christie screens. NEC is second. Barco has proven themselves to be the most troublesome with weird quirky failures, usually involving reseating boards and such to get the show on screen.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-14-2013 06:59 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I've certainly had to reseat Barco boards...that is for sure...I have had that on all three and as a percentage of our installed base...Barco is no more problematic than the other brands. In terms of component replacement...my most reliable is the Christie CP2000-SB (series 1)...zero failures (kiss of death, I know). But I've had Christie and NEC board reseat issues. I have had all three crap out on their LPS (lamp power supply). NEC's power switch WILL fail so never use it. NEC has a fan that runs 24-hours a day...even in Stand By...probably they deemed that whatever electronics remain on for Stand-By need some form of cooling.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-14-2013 07:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. We monitor a much larger base of projectors than you service Steve. The failure rate is an absolute landslide win on Christie, and yes I'm talking series 2. Barco is crazy high in terms of quirky failures that cause show loss or delay. NEC is in the middle, but leans higher.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-14-2013 07:05 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No doubt you do...I can only speak from personal experience...I'm not seeing what you are seeing. Even our overlap of Cardinal/Film-Tech/Barco installs...I haven't heard of board reseat issues.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-14-2013 11:22 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup there have been a couple, although not as much as the sites that did firmware upgrades. There is absolutely a line between those sites that routinely do every new upgrade vs. the ones that let working equipment run.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-15-2013 06:22 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We only do updates twice per year unless there is a critical update. For instance...almost all of our sites missed Barco 1.10 but almost all are on 1.11. A few site have had to chase the updates to keep up with subtitling issues in art houses but that has been a while.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: