Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Do all screens normally have access to all content on the servers? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Do all screens normally have access to all content on the servers?
William Kucharski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2013 10:59 PM      Profile for William Kucharski   Email William Kucharski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frozen Audience Full of Kids Sees Explicit Sex Scene By Accident at Theater

Video:

News report via YouTube

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-03-2013 12:24 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Please always quote the text from news articles. Over time (sometimes as little as 24 hours) news websites typically change their URLs and the link breaks. Then in the future these discussion archives are "broken".

quote:
Frozen Audience Full of Kids Sees Explicit Sex Scene By Accident at Theater (VIDEO)
Truth rating: 10

2:04 pm, December 2nd, 2013

Frozen is doing phenomenal business at the box office, but some moviegoers in Florida got more than they bargained for: an explicit sex scene.

Parents who had taken their children to see the animated Disney film at the Regal Cinemas Park Place Stadium 16 in Pinellas Park were stunned when a graphic two-minute clip from another movie began playing before Frozen began.

According to FOX 13, there had been technical difficulties at the screening that delayed the start of the movie, so Regal Cinemas temporarily showed a different cartoon.

Trouble ensued.

“They put in the filler, it looked like ‘Steamboat Willie,’ the old Mickey Mouse cartoon, and then all of a sudden it goes into this other scene,” said a woman who had brought her grandchildren to see Frozen.

She added, “It seemed like forever when you’re trying to, you know, cover a little guy’s eyes. I didn’t have enough hands to cover his ears too and he got the sound down real good.”

The theater offered the audience free movie tickets in response to the snafu.

Link to video

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-03-2013 07:50 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me this sounds more like a bad joke from one of the employees or maybe even a disgruntled (former) employee, putting a "dirty" video on the server and intentionally calling it "Steamboat Willy".

Regarding your question in your subject title: Do all screens normally have access to all content on the servers?

Most current setups use local storage on the server or on a server directly connected to the IMB. On that storage, you usually only keep the movies that are relevant for that particular screen. So, maybe they usually keep a few cartoons at hand they can play as infill if something goes wrong.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-03-2013 08:13 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is that the over-excited grown-ups in this situation probably did more harm to the kids than the cartoon itself. Shouting, screaming, and trying to cover ears and eyes in a dark auditorium. What a scene...

- Carsten

William Kucharski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2013 10:08 AM      Profile for William Kucharski   Email William Kucharski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect that the "Steamboat Willie" cartoon snippet was the Disney animation intro that has Mickey in black & white whistling before the short:

YouTube: Disney Animation Intro

Then the film switched to a sex scene, but I don't see how you could just jump to something like that as no films out now that I know of start like that, and the only way to get there otherwise is if some of the theater employees were, uh, amusing themselves. :-)

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2013 01:33 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It amuses me that it was at a Regal location.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-03-2013 02:08 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds to me like they might have played the opening scene from The Counselor. Most likely it was a situation where they did a manual start. But I can't figure out how they would have shown the Steamboat Willy opening which is on a short in front of Frozen, unless the "projectionist" thought that was for something else, and stopped it before playing the counselor clip.

Regardless, this is most likely a human error or act of sabotage.

Elise Brandt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2013 09:05 AM      Profile for Elise Brandt   Email Elise Brandt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just thinking it might have been the Counselor! My guess is they played the clip manually and tried to click "Frozen" on the list but the cursor was slightly off and they hit the title before that. If there wasn't a title starting with a d or an e then Couselor and Frozen would be on top of each other in the clip list...

If it was that scene, then the overreaction is quite awesome here. It's just half-dirty talk in that, embarrassing yes but come on. Someone saying "I want you to touch me down there" is hardly traumatizing.

Still, I see the point. Wouldn't want my kids to ask me to explain that scene to them either.

James Crowley
Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2013 10:07 AM      Profile for James Crowley         Edit/Delete Post 
In an emergency with the TMS central server, the network engineers temporarily allowed access across the network in 1 cinema for servers to pull content from other servers. I have heard that if a Dolby has it's auditorium number configured to an already existing screen number then that server will display the show manager for the already existing screen. It depends on how the network operators configure it.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-04-2013 12:13 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why should a server with Frozen on it not carry higher rating content as well? No need to blame TMS or network issues.

Someone just clicked a trailer mistakenly. Could have been any other content. Of course there are those who do this for a joke. However, people with the necessary training to operate a projection system should know that it will have consequences if they play jokes like that in the US. And in a manual operating scenario, it is probably easy to track them down.

- Carsten

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-04-2013 12:46 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's happened again...

quote: The Independent

Children waiting to watch Disney movie Frozen were shown explicit sex scenes when the trailer for Lars von Trier’s x-rated Nymphomaniac was screened by mistake in a US cinema.

Parents in the audience were forced to distract and shield their children in a reportedly frantic effort to prevent a barrage of awkward questions.

“It seemed like forever when you’re trying to, you know, cover a little guy’s eyes,” grandmother Lynn Green told Fox news. “I didn’t have enough hands to cover his ears too and he got the sound down real good.”

Those affected expressed concern about a lack of safeguards to stop similar errors happening in future. “You’re talking, what, a PG-rated movie to all of a sudden have an R-rated scene up there for little children?” Green added.

Temporarily banned from YouTube for its overtly sexual content, the trailer shows Shia LaBeouf and Stacy Martin engaging in various sex acts amid a montage of often violent scenes.

Critics have called it one of the most explicit trailers ever to be shown in mainstream cinemas.

The Pinellas Park cinema in Florida has offered free tickets to those affected and apologised for the accidental screening.

Last year, a Nottingham cinema sparked an outcry after it began screening 15-rated horror movie Paranormal Activity 4 to children as young as five instead of the family animation Madagascar 3. The children at Cineworld were shown a bloodied corpse hurtling towards the camera during the first two minutes of the supposed Madagascar screening.

Disney’s Frozen opened in US cinemas on Thanksgiving weekend, earning $93 million at the box office over the five-day holiday period. The film broke the record set by Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone in 2001 for the biggest Thanksgiving opening ever and also scored the largest for Walt Disney Studios.

Inspired by The Snow Queen fairytale, Frozen tells the story of a Scandinavian princess on a mission to find her sister, a queen who is unintentionally destroying their kingdom with the power to freeze anything she touches.

Nymphomaniac will debut in Copenhagen on Christmas Day before a likely general release in March in the UK next year.

The raunchy poster campaign, also directed by Danish Lars von Trier, shocked in October with its images of the cast pretending to reach sexual climax.

Uma Thurman and Jamie Bell are among the actors portraying orgasmic ecstasy to promote the film, which follows the erotic life of a woman from birth to the age of 50.

I wonder if this sort of thing is happening more with DCPs than it did with film? Perhaps the process of having physically to cut and splice ad and trailer reels to conform with the certificate of the feature they were being shown before promoted a greater importance on checking and double checking than clicking on menu items does.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-04-2013 04:08 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure, but I think it's actually the same incident.

- Carsten

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-04-2013 05:04 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As there is about a zero chance in hell that a multiplex like that is going to be showing Nymphomaniac,shouldn't it just have been deleted, or don't multiplexes do that?

I, on the other hand, always look forward the latest adventures of Lars Von Triers [evil]

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-04-2013 05:10 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
Why should a server with Frozen on it not carry higher rating content as well? No need to blame TMS or network issues.
It's actually quite common to play one movie in an auditorium for matinees, and play a different movie in the evening. Or to alternate throughout the day to optimize show times with longer movies. Having content for different features on the server at the same time is not especially rare.

Without knowing exactly how this happened, it's difficult to know what steps to take to prevent it. However, the studios could do a better job of including meta data which could prevent these kinds of errors by enabling server rules which prevent R/NC17 trailers from even being available to schedule on G and PG films.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-04-2013 06:23 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffrey
I, on the other hand, always look forward the latest adventures of Lars Von Triers...
I didn't really think much of his stuff, until he gave us the glorious sight of Björk being strung up. After three hours of her howling like a cat being sodomised with a soldering iron, revenge has very rarely been sweeter!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: