Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Satellite Delivery? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Satellite Delivery?
Belinda Schull
Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2013 07:15 PM      Profile for Belinda Schull   Email Belinda Schull   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello guys our teather want to upgrade to satellite delivery system it worth? Does anyone know what satellite use deluxe? Is the same as technicolor? You can get deluxe and technicolor with the same dish and server? We have a bulding beside that blocks some satellites, I hear technicolor use amc 15, is the same for deluxe? How this system works? and the most important question for you guys who already use this system, Is it better than receiving hard disks? Thanks in advance! [Smile] [eyes]

|  IP: Logged

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2013 12:07 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had both Technicolor and Deluxe satellite delivery at my previous theatre, and both systems used different dishes and different units to store the transmitted information. At my current theatre, we do not have satellite delivery yet, but will be getting the new Digital Cinema Distribution Coalition units soon, but I do not know yet what system it will be using.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-04-2013 10:18 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we looked into it considering the rural nature of our locationsbut deluxe was clear that they could not provide product after 3 weeks of break

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-04-2013 11:58 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought satellite delivery was, the content all arrived automatically, and the "keys" were sent when a title is booked. ...?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-04-2013 10:42 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
they provide a server that all content is fed to then the theatres confirmed booking sends it and keys to the theatres tms
deluxe purges content from there server 3 weeks approx after break

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-05-2013 12:03 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, you are correct that the content is delivered automatically. However, it's often an issue to get them to publish the content to your LMS if you open off the break or have a late booking on the break. And if it's more than 3-4 weeks after the satellite distribution, the content may be purged to make room for the new content.

As for the original question: My theatre has had satellite for both Deluxe and Technicolor for over a year and it's awesome. We get about 90-95% of our content by satellite and it's often there by the weekend before the movie opens. We do have separate dishes and servers for both Deluxe and Technicolor, but I think they both use the same satellite.

The new DCDC system that is just coming on-line should have every wide release title going through just one provider, and only require one dish.

Unless there are specific reasons why you can't use satellite, I see absolutely zero reason not to get it. Besides the convenience, you'll also save money on content delivery. Even if a title is delivered on hard drive, you should be billed at the satellite price which is about 50% cheaper.

The one downside is that if you open a movie late, but still within the first 3-4 weeks, they almost always want to send a hard drive automatically. When we open a title in this window, I just call Deluxe or Technicolor and ask them to see if the content is still on the satellite server to be pushed out to our LMS. I've had to deal with a few flunky operators who don't understand the content is sitting on a server in my projection room, but almost without exception I've been able to get the satellite content.

Trenton Thompson
Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2013 06:57 PM      Profile for Trenton Thompson   Email Trenton Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you get Technicolor and Deluxe to respond about satellite? I've called so many times and each time they take my info and then say that the satellite department will call the next day. Never do I get a reply from that department. So I reverted to emailing them and nothing as well. Funny thing is if they just send the equipment I can install it myself minus lining up the satellite which I'm sure I can get a local guy to do. [Roll Eyes] Any advice getting them to respond? Or possibly how to sign up for this new Digital Cinema Distribution Coalition group?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-25-2014 03:13 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently one of the meetings at CinemaCon is going to be about satellite distribution. I'm not there this year but maybe somebody who is can report back on what's happening.

I was talking to our booker yesterday (who IS at CinemaCon) and he was planning to go to the meeting. He already told me that the studios want to move quickly getting satellite to be more widespread. I asked how long it might take before it filters down to small places like mine, and he said "I think you'll be on satellite before the end of the year."

I said, "Before the end of THIS year?" and he said yes, it's probably going to happen that fast.

I have a hard time believing it but he's usually pretty right on about this kind of thing. So, we'll wait and see.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2014 08:27 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone presented Frozen or Hunger Games Catching Fire from a satellite delivery? I understand it takes up to 9 hours to transmit.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2014 09:35 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the first Muppet movie was released, we had the Technicolor satellite system, and there was a problem with the original transmission where a single packet didn't get delivered right and corrupted the entire file. They deleted the file and reuploaded it (about 130GBs as I recall) in about five minutes.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-13-2014 06:28 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly not 130GByte in 5 minutes. The whole feature may have had 130GByte. Typical aggregated broadcast bandwith for DCP satellite transmission (typically two transponders bundled) is 60-140MBIT/s. Now break that down to GByte and arrive at 2-3 hours for 130GByte. And only if you'd had both transponders available for your retransmission alone (which will never happen).

Lost/retransmitted blocks are a lot smaller typically.

DCPs are usually structured in reels, just like film. The largest single file structure within a DCP would be something like one reel video segment, e.g. around 20GByte.

But the block segmentation for satellite broadcasts is much smaller. It would be a nightmare if corrupt data would need to be retransmitted in 20GB chunks. For transmission, they are broken down in smaller portitions for frequent checks and retransmission and better balancing.

- Carsten

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2014 08:27 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Edward Havens
When the first Muppet movie was released, we had the Technicolor satellite system
You must have had a very early and completely unheard of prototype.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079588/

[Confused] [Big Grin]

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2014 11:41 AM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, I think Edward meant the 2nd 1st Muppet Movie [Wink]

When the 1979 1st one was out, I don't even think we had colour installed - I think we were still using black and white xenons! [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-13-2014 03:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In two or three years internet speeds will be quadrupling at the very least thanks to new hardware developments. This will render Satellite downlink downloads obsolete in terms of speed and network availability. As far back in the dark ages as Utah is we are almost 100% fiber in this State unless you get your internet from Comcrap.

From a Cisco article: " The average fixed broadband speed is expected to increase four-fold, from 7 megabits per second in 2010 to 28 Mbps in 2015. The average broadband speed has already doubled within the past year from 3.5 Mbps to 7 Mbps."

Well, we are about there now.

Mark

Jeff Kane
Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2014 08:53 PM      Profile for Jeff Kane   Email Jeff Kane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Satellite is still preferable as it's so much more efficient for multicast distribution. Broadcast a DCP once, every theater that needs it can download it at the same time.

Do the same over traditional broadband links and it's much more resource intensive. Say a given DCP is 130GB. That's almost 2 hours to download at 155Mbps to one theater, IF you could find a connection that fast. Broadband speeds are evolving in the US but slowly. Then Technicolor and Deluxe have to have enough bandwidth to be able to send out all that to however many theaters are getting the DCP. Satellite is just more efficient for moving the same data to many places.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: