Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Who works with Dolby NA10 Network automation Interface?

Author Topic: Who works with Dolby NA10 Network automation Interface?
Alexander Tarakin
Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2013 06:56 AM      Profile for Alexander Tarakin   Author's Homepage   Email Alexander Tarakin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

Did someone work with this product? or currently working with it?
Is he good and reliable? how much does it cost?

Thank you!

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-27-2013 09:49 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you'd better find something else unless you get one for free! [Smile] The upside is that being a Dolby product you connect to a Dolby server and your cues are automatically downloaded. But it's quite limited and its ethernet link is not very reliable.
I wouldn't buy one, if you get one for free - or almost for free - go for it. Otherwise find something else.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-27-2013 10:59 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had so many problems with the NA10 that we developed our own RS232 automation to replace it
 -

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-27-2013 11:58 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a number of local cinemas using these but they have been out of production for quite a while now.

They were quite expensive but all are working reliably though.

Alexander Tarakin
Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2013 04:13 PM      Profile for Alexander Tarakin   Author's Homepage   Email Alexander Tarakin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Sam, can you tell me the price of one unit?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-27-2013 05:39 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If memory serves, it was $3,450 list price which is one reason it did not sell very well.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-27-2013 06:22 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was a lot of money for just some relays in a box that only worked via Ethernet and only with one brand of server.

Alexander Tarakin
Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2013 08:18 AM      Profile for Alexander Tarakin   Author's Homepage   Email Alexander Tarakin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a product that does the same job and worth baying?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-29-2013 09:38 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not with a Dolby server and through Ethernet, AFAIK.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-29-2013 10:08 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not via Ethernet...only via RS232. I strongly recommend the Eprad/Strong eCNA series (eCNA5 and the eCNA10). They have at least 16 relay outputs, 6 analog inputs, can control 5 Ethernet devices and are expandable as needed. The eCNA5 is a bit less than $1000 US

On the lower cost front, many use the JNIOR automation.

On the least cost front, one can use the DSS' built in I/O relays...and they are indeed relays. By modifying an XML file, you can have the cues say what you want, control them as Latched or pulsed (and set the duration of the pulse).

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-29-2013 12:11 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correction...8 GPI inputs (minimum). As Strong normally configures it, the eCNA 10 comes with an optional I/O module that extends it by another 8 relay outputs and 8 GPI inputs.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-02-2013 08:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually never had any real issues with them at all. They always just seemed to work fine doing what they were designd to do. I am actually re-installing two used ones a customer bought in a couple of weeks and another used one with a DSS-200 after those go in. They are used just to control lights and it's a neater thing than dealing with the GPIO and some relays... plus there is plenty of future expansion. Ok for small simple venues. Not for more complicated ones though...

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: