Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » The 5.1 of Catching Fire is out of sync here... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The 5.1 of Catching Fire is out of sync here...
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-20-2013 06:14 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 5.1 of Catching Fire is out of sync here...maybe by at least 3 - 4 frames. I tested it on two screens and re-booted servers and processors. No change. The 7.1 is OK though and that's what we're using even though we only have 5.1.

Fortunately we have KDM's for both versions.

Is this world-wide or just Oz? They added a ROADSHOW title to the beginning of ours so maybe that's where the issue is?

We'll see.

|  IP: Logged

Ian Freer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2013 09:54 PM      Profile for Ian Freer   Email Ian Freer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's definitely the same here in NZ, but of course I think we just got the Aus version as it's the same distributor...

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-21-2013 06:35 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See...that is what you get when you play a northern hemisphere movie in the southern hemisphere! It is vice-versa up here when we get one of your HFR Hobbit movies...it just doesn't look right. [Wink]

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-21-2013 08:54 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. Adjust your timezone and it will play in sync. ;-)

- Carsten

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2013 09:40 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I figured films just played backwards down under. [Wink]

AJG

Marc Jensen
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2013 08:30 PM      Profile for Marc Jensen   Email Marc Jensen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Word is out now. "Run 7.1." It would have been good to know about this before the midnight screenings, but distributors' ideas on when KDMs should be active... [Roll Eyes]

Comedy ensues.

I've heard that some sites have resorted to mass refunds for patrons who came to their midnight shows. [Frown]

Danial Simmonds
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2013 11:53 PM      Profile for Danial Simmonds   Author's Homepage   Email Danial Simmonds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For this title catching fire, did any of you face subtitle issues? It is huge covering half the screen?

Using the Projector Subtitles fixes the issue, but not when using server subtitles and some projectors it doesnt work i think it could be due to some projectors are still on a bit older version.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-22-2013 04:26 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't you just adjust the audio delay, on either the server or the sound processor?

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2013 05:53 AM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would only work if it was consistently out of sync - I seem to recall reading elsewhere that it drifts in and out?

Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2013 08:31 AM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Garman
I figured films just played backwards down under.
Actually they play upside down. However, the patrons' brains have adapted so that they don't even notice it. It's a bummer for tourists, though.

Marc Jensen
Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2013 08:26 PM      Profile for Marc Jensen   Email Marc Jensen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Furley
Can't you just adjust the audio delay, on either the server or the sound processor?
I was told that the sync problem was evident in just the first 20 minutes, so no.

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2013 11:24 PM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sync problems usually upset me, but I sat through the whole movie without detecting any sync problem.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2013 12:09 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sync problems? How about no sound?
http://i.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/news/9433665/Cinema-crammed-movie-silent

Harold

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-23-2013 05:56 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's a nice one ;-)

(from the above link)

'Someone had initially forgotten to switch the film's sound on, but when the matter was brought to his attention by a customer, he was able to restore the soundtrack, he said. However, restarting the film so that viewers could watch the opening scenes with sound was not possible because he did not know how to do it.'

'When asked if people were seated in the aisles during the screening, Mr Cook said he would not comment, as "that would be undesirable and probably illegal".'

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-23-2013 09:04 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also heard the other day of a cinema that ran the second part of the movie after the intermission (sigh!) with the lights on. Staff could not intervene because they did not know how to turn the lights off...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: