Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NEC 1200C lamp question

Author Topic: NEC 1200C lamp question
Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2013 08:43 AM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason, 2 of my NC1200c's will automatically power on the lamp when when turning the projector on. Why does this happen? How can I change this?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-20-2013 12:01 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the projector in the "Stand By" state...that is, power to the projector but otherwise off. Press the lamp button and you should see the LCD screen change from Lamp On to Lamp Off. If it says Lamp Off in the standby state, it will power up with the lamp off.

Ian Freer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2013 09:53 PM      Profile for Ian Freer   Email Ian Freer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have the DCC software on a local PC it can also be corrected there in much the same manner.
With the projector in Stand-by, the Lamp On button will be active, click to Lamp Off while the PJ still in stand-by and from then on it should be good.

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2013 11:29 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-23-2013 02:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is probably my most asked question since I have so many NEC's out there. I wish NEC would move this to a technician setting in DCC on a future firmware upgrade.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-23-2013 03:23 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of the NC1200C...and this is a divergence from the original question but it does apply to the thread title...

We have just done a set of lamp changes in the NC1200C...the lamps were Ushio DXL-20SN. They went the full 2400 hours but....

The lamps didn't have the characteristic "clear" new-lamp look to them when they came out. The lamps had darkened over, quite a bit (sort of Osram like). But even more puzzling...the electrodes looked HORRIBLE. They were all snotted up...with 3 or more "tits" on them too.

The exhaust in this theatre is more than adequate for a 2KW lamp too (about 500cfm). And even if the exhaust was inadequate, that may explain the darkening, it wouldn't explain the electrodes. That has always meant that the power to the lamp is bad.

Now I could understand if one out of 5 was bad...but 5 out of 5? That isn't just a bad lamp or power supply...that is something intrinsic. I have too many Ushios out there in Barco and Christie (but under the Christie badge) to think Ushio is the source of the problem.

Now that Ushio offers 1200 and 1500-watt versions of the lamp...some of the screens will be moving to a more appropriate sized lamp so it will be interesting to see how they fare. Also, lamp wise, we will be on a different batch of 2KWs too.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-23-2013 11:36 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does this mean you have to start looking at traditional power issues like inrush, ripple, maybe even look at it on a scope after the bulb fires?

I suppose I should take a look at how my bulb (2K, Osram, film-style) is faring.

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-24-2013 12:33 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose but it is a switch mode power supply. NEC also ramps up its lamps...one would think that it shouldn't be so hard on the lamps on the start ups. Again, whereas I'm seeing it uniformly across several units...I thinking that something is up in the design of it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-24-2013 10:32 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen that happen around here in the 1200's myself. Nor has anyone had any issues reaching lamp life, a few even run them beyond warranty. Except with Osrams lamp's and they always fail early no matter what.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2013 11:44 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just changed about 15 Ushios in the NEC1200 within the last few months. They were all changed at around 2300 hours. All of the lamps were clear with no abnormalities on the electrodes. I'll keep watching.

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-24-2013 12:16 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks...good info. It just struck me as VERY odd.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-24-2013 03:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many amps were your lamps running Steve?

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-24-2013 04:33 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the middle to lower end of the range. Two of them we have switched to 1500-watt because we don't need the light.

"Feedback" was enabled bu it never got close to 100% power. Depending on the theatre...between 53A and 67A. Not exactly pushing a 2KW lamp rated to run up to 85A.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-24-2013 04:42 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In all ours the 2000Hs Ushios come out looking almost new but we do run them at around 75 amps at start and 85 at the end
they stay in for about 3000hrs

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: