Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DCinema CPL Naming Convention (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DCinema CPL Naming Convention
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-20-2013 03:28 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to share this graphic I received a while ago, which explains the CPL naming conventions studios are starting to use. This was developed by the NATO technologies committee and SMPTE. I had to size this down about 15% for FT to accept the upload, so I apologize if the text isn't clear. I can share the full res graphic with the admins if desired.

-

|  IP: Logged

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2013 07:54 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The full graphic with lots of other details is at http://digitalcinemanamingconvention.com .

I think http://www.isdcf.com did a lot of work on this.

Also, there's a SMPTE group working on a specification for CPL metadata. This would allow data about the DCP to be reliably parsed out (before ingest, I think) making it much easier to figure out which DCP to ingest or play. I think a server should be able to, if desired, sort DCPs to show them ordered by compatibikity with the auditorium or sort on any field.

Harold

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-20-2013 12:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the capabilities of the auditorium (picture and sound) should be able to be configured into each server. And then the correct version is what is ingested for that auditorium (with manual overrides, of course). Yes, all capable versions should be there but the default should be the one with the best sound format and such.

If the house doesn't have 3D...don't even offer the 3D titles or trailers.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2013 12:15 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But what if the house is 3D capable, and there is a 3D version of the title that is playing, but that house is playing the 2D version? (Say, for example, there is an abundance of 3D screens in the complex and not all of them are needed for 3D content that particular week.) Would the system still automatically ingest and schedule the 3D version, require manual override to schedule the 2D version?

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-20-2013 02:26 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, what he means is that if you schedule a 3D show in an auditorium, it will automatically transfer the correct 3D version - 5.1 or 7.1, 3.5fl or 6fl, silver or white. Same thing if you schedule a 2D show.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-20-2013 04:50 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course you will still be able to ingest ANY content available. Metadata will just offer a default or preferred choice.

- Carsten

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-20-2013 04:57 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plus metadata could also be used for things like preventing red band trailers on features that aren't rated R or NC-17. As of right now the studios are including very little, if any, metadata in the average dcp.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-20-2013 05:37 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I had my way, a house with 3D capability would have the option to set, AS ITS DEFAULT, the preference to ingest BOTH the best match for 2D and 3D.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2013 08:38 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To add to the confusion there have (in the UK) been features released simultaneously at more than one BBFC age classification (with other edits to avoid sensitivities)

18 Rated, 82m 32s (not released)
18 Rated, 81m 16s long (Michael Jackson reference removed) and
15 Rated, 79m 06s

For anime films some cinemas show dubbed versions during the day and subtitled versions at night, how would the automatic system deal with these.

-------
BBFC classifications are provided as guidance to local authorities who may choose to impose their own ratings.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-21-2013 08:50 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are NOT talking about automatic systems. Metadata is there to make human decisions easier.

- Carsten

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-21-2013 10:59 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um... Evidently, some of "us" are! [Razz]

What's wrong with defaults?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-21-2013 12:49 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is LtRt now a valid soundtrack configuration for DCPs? This page suggests that it is.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-21-2013 01:15 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Lt/Rt means matrix encoded, it would be hard to believe they include Lt/Rt but not plain stereo. Thus I doubt they actually mean matrix encoded 2ch.

- Carsten

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-22-2013 08:55 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I emailed ISDCF and they confirmed, it's a mistake, it should read 'Left/Right'/'Stereo', not 'RtLt', they will change the table.

- Carsten

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-22-2013 10:23 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Knowles
What's wrong with defaults?
Nothing, of course, but 'defaults' are not 'automatic', they leave a choice, only suggest a potential candidate initially. ;-)

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: