Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Automated 3D movers

Author Topic: Automated 3D movers
James Crowley
Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2013 04:45 PM      Profile for James Crowley         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen a lot of these except on IMAX machines. I am referring mainly to reald equipment as that's what I work with mainly, XLs and z screens.
Just wondering what everyone has out there and what's available automation wise.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-13-2013 06:21 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
MasterImage has a nice one in their MX mount.
MiT also makes a nice mover that will work with RealD and anamorphics.

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2013 07:45 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For XL, there's the Optimax. You would think there would be one for the Z-screen, but I haven't ever seen one.

Optimax

I like Master Images new Wave 3D unit, it has an automated carriage that works very well.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-13-2013 09:26 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is an Optimax for the Z-screen if you have a Barco or NEC since those slide back and forth. A down size to the Optimax is that if the motor dies...one can't move it manually. The MiT mover can be moved even if the motor dies.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2013 11:58 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've installed a few Optimax units and find them to be less than stellar. They've all had issues at one point. I'm very much interested in checking out the MiT XLM.

If you loosen the belt tension all the way on the Optimax, you can slip the belt off and then move the XL manually as you would if there were no Optimax.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 04-24-2017 05:08 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1257 days since the last post.

Jason Whyte
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2017 05:08 PM      Profile for Jason Whyte   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Whyte   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all,

Bringing this topic back up. Does anyone know how much these automated movers would cost now?

Still a lot of theaters not moving the 3D lens for 2D shows so if they are reasonably priced this would be a good solution for those theaters.

JW

Geoff Newitt
Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2017 12:40 PM      Profile for Geoff Newitt   Email Geoff Newitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Masterimage included actuators in their products as standard, I understand, but I must admit I am out of the loop since they were taken over by RealD.

I've installed a couple of Mogul systems from Amptown System Company in Hamburg. Nice units, good support, friendly guys. Can be adapted to XL or z-screen, and they made me a custom unit to sit at floor level in one of our 'boothless' screens. (Don't ask...) I think we got a dealer discount, but from memory around Eu1000-1500. They have a web host built in and can be controlled over Ethernet or by contact closure (GPIO).

We also have a couple of DepthQ actuators, which work just fine. They were quite expensive - but that might have been because they attracted import duty (being US made) and we bought through a dealer. Support has been good. I'm afraid I don't remember the price - it's been 5 years! Contact closure control only.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-25-2017 02:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problems with the Master Image movers here. They have all been very reliable.

Mark

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-26-2017 09:31 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The MasterImage systems movers have been super reliable for us. RealD could learn from that, I'm not happy when I pay for a 2D mover and see an XL (dim with "off" colors" or an XL (focus loss plus dim and "off" colors) left in place because they are running a mixed schedule ... or just never move them away.
I really liked their Wave3D panel unit, the whole assembly with mover is small and easy to integrate. I assume all MI products are discontinued but haven't seen any news.
MI customers are being contacted by RealD to set up glasses distribution etc.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: