Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » What is your experience with the manual lens adjustment on the NEC NC2000C

Author Topic: What is your experience with the manual lens adjustment on the NEC NC2000C
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-11-2013 03:08 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not talking about the zoom/focus/shift adjustments, I'm talking about the equivalent of the scheimpflug adjustment on the Barco projectors. I have yet to attempt this adjustment on any of my NEC projectors, but I have one or two houses that look like they may need a small adjustment.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-11-2013 10:12 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's there but it is a factory only set up. Not field adjustable nor is adjustment generally ever needed.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-11-2013 12:39 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Contrary to what Mark has said...yes it is field adjustable (it HAS to be since one may not know the angle the projector will be in relation to the screen).

Adjusting vertically is going to be easier than horizontal. For vertical adjustment, the carriage rides on ball bearings (on eccentrics). To raise/lower the mount vertically you retract the lower bearings and adjust the upper ones until you have uniform focus top to bottom. Then bring the lower ones back up.

Now horizontal shift is a joke. You have to loosen the whole mount and physically shift the mount...they have a slot in there for a "tool" or a straight blade screwdriver to pry it (gently) in the direction you need to go. Quite crude as compared to Barco or Christie.

But yes, it is possible.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-11-2013 02:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still not a good idea unless you are really familiar with the projector!!

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-11-2013 04:45 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the input Mark and Steve. I'm pretty comfortable with these projectors, so at some point I'll take a look at it and see if it's something I feel comfortable trying.

When we installed our first projectors, I took a 4 day class in Omaha on the NEC projectors. Unfortunately I only had a few days actually working with any digital projector before the class, so the concepts were pretty new to me and I really didn't know what to take away. I should probably look into taking the class again - or a higher level if offered.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-11-2013 09:23 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, see if you can get "Tim time" to go over these things. NEC is, by far, the hardest bore-sight set up. It is also the only one where you have to remove covers/panels to perform so I would definitely plan your attack the first time. If you can do one that does not have to be on screen immediately (e.g. in a class situation), it will be easier since you will know what you are up against. Getting bore-sight right is tough enough without the mechanism adding to the frustration. But, when you get it right, it can make all of the difference between a good and great image.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-13-2013 03:46 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do agree with Steve, it's so easy to do on Barco and Christie and when you see the procedure on an NEC you ask yourself "why?".

I also heard that it's factory set but it does not make sense to me. That contraption is there to allow the installer to obtain even focus on screen.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: