Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco DP2K 23B Color Issues (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Barco DP2K 23B Color Issues
Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2013 11:24 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Friday night, we experienced an issue with one of our projectors during a trailer for Hunger Games: Catching Fire where all of a sudden the screen was filled with blue horizontal lines flashing all over the screen in random places. As soon as that one trailer was over and the next one started the problem was gone. Thinking it was just that one trailer, I deleted it from the playlist and haven't had any more issues until tonight.

Tonight watching one of our features on that particular projector, we kept noticing that all of the shadows and skin tones had a slight blue tint to them. As that feature progressed we started noticing more areas where everything had a blue tint to it. It looks as if the whole screen is filled with blue and the other colors are just projecting on top of it.

Any clues? I called my tech guys who we bought it from and they suggested powering off the projector and re-seating all of the cards (ICP, IMB,and the input card) below the control panel. I'll have to use the Dallas key to clear the security issue out, but does anyone think that would actually clear out the problem.

The tech was able to remote in and pull the logs on the projector and server, and we don't have any errors, and we've got a green tail light on the rear of the machine.

I'm kind of stumped...

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-10-2013 11:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes reseat the cards. It's definitely the first step and is a common thing. As you wrote, make damn sure you have the power off before you do though.

Are you running IMBs or HDSDI? If HDSDI don't forget to run a short clip repeatedly after doing this before you power it down to keep the enigma from filling up.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2013 11:32 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Are you running IMBs or HDSDI? If HDSDI don't forget to run a short clip repeatedly after doing this before you power it down to keep the enigma from filling up.
I don't have a clue Brad. It's a Barco DP2K-23B with a GDC SX2000AR server. The IMB is mounted in the projector.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-11-2013 02:22 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have an IMB, then you have an IMB. Just power off the projector, reseat the cards, power it back on, re-marry it and get a test show running.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2013 07:45 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Powered off the projector, pulled and re-seated the cards, buttoned it all back up and then powered up the projector. I expected a red tail light once it booted up... I got a steady green tail light.

I tried the Dallas key and the control panel numbers flashed RED for about 1 second, then returned to their normal blue and green colors. If I tried to key in the security code within 5 seconds of the Dallas key, the projector just cycles through the various lens settings. We verified the numbers on the Dallas key to make sure I'm using the right one.

When I booted up the server, I still have the green tail light on the projector, but the server cannot connect to the IMB.

Called tech support, and they are just as stumped as me. Anyone have a clue why the Dallas key wouldn't clear out the security issue? The server says there is a network issue, but nothing has changed, and everything is plugged in to the correct place on the IMB according to the photo I took of it last night before I pulled the cards.

I can throw a test pattern up on the screen, and the colors look fine, just can't play a damn thing.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-11-2013 09:36 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The odd thing is that the dallas key is not taking if you are getting a red flash on the keys. If they took the dallas key, then it would be a green flash.

I would reseat the Cinema Controller (bottom card) again. That is the "brains" of the outfit. And I would also look up to verify that the number of the Dallas key matches your actual key (as well as the number sequence). Note, each time you use the key, it goes into the logs so if you go to diagnostics, you can look up what key it thinks it saw and compare that to the key that is loaded in (in the Installation/Advanced) section. You will need service privileges to do some of this.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-11-2013 09:37 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Loose or broken network cable?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-11-2013 11:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Steve here. Its most probably the cinema controller (bottom card). Then again a simple power cycle actually could also resolve things, odds are another reseat is in order.

Do make sure the cards are FULLY in. I've seen some people push the cards in until they felt tension, then "used the screws to snug it up". Don't do that. Push the card firmly in. Then screwing the screws in shouldn't move the board at all to get to a snug point.

BTW don't go tightening those screws too much. They are easily stripped. You need a #1 size Phillips.

Finally power the server down during this. The reason isn't that the server needs to be powered off, but you need to start the projector and server both at the same time from an off state sometimes.

Jason Raftery
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2013 11:39 PM      Profile for Jason Raftery   Email Jason Raftery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cinema control board stores the Dallas key information, so if that board is not fully seated or is malfunctioning, the behavior you're experiencing is not surprising. The CCB also contains the projector's network router--if it is not working, your server will definitely not be able to play content.

First, power down and try what Steve and Brad advised--reseating the board. If the projector still misbehaves once you boot back up, check the following.

In Communicator, go to Diagnostics > Version Info. What version is listed next to barco? Is there an asterisk visible?

Also, go to Diagnostics > Tests > Self Test. Run the ICP and Router tests and advise if any failures are noted.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2013 08:28 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spent several hours on the phone with tech support last night and ran some self-diagnostic test via the Barco Communicator. Most everything checked out fine, but the ICP board threw out a couple of test failures.

The tech extracted the logs from both the projector and the GDC and sent them to Barco and GDC. Should hear back from them this morning hopefully.

Had another tech have me take the Dallas key from the other screen and add it to this projector in question, so it now has two Dallas keys that it can read from. Tried the new key and got the same results.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-12-2013 02:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
"The problem is not with our equipment. It's GDC at fault." ---Barco

"The problem is not with our equipment. It's Barco at fault." ---GDC

[Razz]

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2013 10:21 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got it fixed. I think Jason and Brad both had it right, I believe the bottom card wasn't seated properly. Last night I went back down to the theatre and pulled all of the cards again, cleaned the terminals and cleaned the internal connectors with a lint free cloth and Q-tip (no solvents)- just a quick wipe down. Got it all put back together and it booted to a red tail light. Did the Dallas key thing and it turned yellow. Punched in the code and about a minute later the tail light turned green. Fired up the server and everything worked exactly like it should.
Loaded and watched one of the features we already had loaded on the machine and it played through with no problem and no color issues.

I called the techs and told them and they said that after reviewing the server logs, GDC wants to send a replacement IMB. [Roll Eyes]

I'll probably hang on to the IMB for a week (unopened) just to make sure the problem doesn't return before I ship it back to them.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-13-2013 12:34 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a minute...Jason and Brad? Check out who said this right below your post! <I can't get no respect...pulling at fictional collar>

If the IMB was the issue...generally, you'll get a longer than normal boot up...much longer before the button lights turn on.

Note, too, if you do change the IMB on a 2000AR...you'll need GDC to remote in and configure the IMB after it is installed before it will work (will need to set its serial number to match your KDMs).

Me thinks your problems are over.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2013 01:04 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
will need to set its serial number to match your KDMs
Uh...isn't it the other way around? Doesn't a site need new KDM's whenever an IMB (or server if using HDSDI) is replaced?

[Confused]

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2013 03:08 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wait a minute...Jason and Brad? Check out who said this right below your post! <I can't get no respect...pulling at fictional collar>
Sorry I left you out Steve. [Roll Eyes]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: