Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » What are you doing with used xenon bulbs?

Author Topic: What are you doing with used xenon bulbs?
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-23-2013 11:15 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the change to digital, theatres are now going through 2-4 times as many bulbs as with film projectors. I'm just curious to know what you're doing with your used bulbs. Is anyone aware of any recycling programs specifically for xenon bulbs? I imagine the various components for the bulbs could be melted down and reused, and the plastic shields could be reused.

|  IP: Logged

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2013 11:51 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tru dat! We've got quite a pile going now that we change at warranty hours.
There was a thread about warranties and it mentioned one maker that had a longer warranty than published for explosion damage. Who was that?
We switched to Phillips xenon lamps, and their covers are too long. You can't get the adaptor on (Barco). I smashed some Ushio 35mm covers and rinsed them out to use on the Phillips. Other than that, I don't think there is anything recyclable. There was a post about silver carbon holders. Nobody would take them.
http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/f1/t011531.html

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-24-2013 09:49 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have thought that it would be worth recycling the xenon gas, given that:

1. It's expensive, over 1,000 times the price of argon for example.

2. It only makes up a fraction of a part per million, so you need to distill a lot of air to produce it.

3. It's almost inert, it can just about form compounds with Fluorine, but there won't have been any of that in the lamp. If extracted it would still be pure.

Maybe there just aren't enough xenon lamps being disposed of to make it worthwhile.

Alan Gilbertson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2013 03:32 PM      Profile for Alan Gilbertson   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gilbertson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In our area the tungston is recycleable and most scrap yards will take it. Check prices before you sell!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: