Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco DP2000 TI error (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Barco DP2000 TI error
Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2013 11:35 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Red tail light on a DP2000. Communicator indicates"TI error-replace board."
Open up ELCA box and reseat boards, and restart machine. Same red light, same errors. But encrypted content plays fine. Called Barco and they say this isn't possible. Call another tech and he says he sees it happen and projector continues running.
A refurbed board is $3900, which ain't chump change.
TI diagnostics are all OK, except for tamper alert. I'm sure everything was reseated and re-installed correctly, so that's a mystery.
Any idea why this error shows up and really doesn't seem to have an effect?
Also, this machine has a GORE board (shiny black covering, correct?) and the TI diagnostics calls it a Series 1S Type 5.
I have another DP2000 that has a Series 1S Type 4.
Since I don't want to open a working machine, is the Type 4 upgradeable if we need to?
Is there an update of the GORE board or are they all the same?
Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-20-2013 08:23 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the reality of DCinema repairs. Typically the cheapest repair to a DCinema is going to exceed the most expensive repair to a film machine (e.g. intermittent repair/replacement).

I have not seen the error you are indicating so I can't advise there. There is more than one TI board in there...there are two, is it telling you which?

The Type 4 and Type 5 boards are identical except that the type 5 has the security enclosure (Gore).

I believe Barco still has the upgrade program, which is less expensive than the price you quoted...That is, IF the Gore board is your problem and swapping boards between machines will be the best/easiest way to see just what is throwing out the error. Note, you can log into the Gore board direction with the TI software and see if it is throwing an error out. Don't rule out the Cinema Controller module as throwing out a spurious error either.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-20-2013 09:12 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We get that farely frequently on the DP100s reseating the boards usually works but have noticed that some pins on the backplane connectors have sometimes in the past been damaged and making poor contact

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2013 02:29 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen this caused by a faulty backplane.

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2013 04:15 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the answers.
It's still running fine, but I'm getting flack for the red taillight. Since replacing parts randomly is expensive, I've done a bit more testing.
The Barco Touchpanel error says:
"ïnterface board security error-replace interface board"
Communicator Diagnostics:
Front End
"Security enclosure-Tamper Switch activated-Component side tamper lid open"
Using the TI software:
All interface board tests OK
All Processing board tests OK
Interface/Processor connection tests OK
Formatter test OK
The ELCA box lid is on,but I don't see a tamper switch on it.
I don't want to try swapping the GORE board to another machine as it is so fragile.
Also, I have another DP2000. Can I transfer the enrire ELCA box to it and see if the errors follow it or will that mess up certificates.
Any answers or clues are appreciated.
Thanks.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 10-25-2013 06:21 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can swap boxes. The serial number memory is on the CCB card (along with running hours etc), communication data is stored in the TI and CCB boards, and the Dallas key code is stored in the touchpanel subassembly (not 100% sure of that). Certificates and licenses are tied to the serial number so they should be OK.
With boxes swapped:
- they will be convinced they are the other one's serial number
- the Barco and TI IP addresses go with the cards
- lens files will be way out of whack
- CLO will be more useless than usual without calibration
- MCGD will be inaccurate without calibration
... probably other things as well.
I have only noticed one tamper switch in the ELCA box. Might be more, though...
I do not believe the lid has a tamper switch: I have powered one up with the it although I was looking for the machine to just boot up, I don't think I tried authorizing with it open.
I would swap the boxes but NOT the boards, changing them so the projector gets its own boards. That will pinpoint the problem better. If you still get a red light then the cause is not the ELCA box. You can then swap cards one at a time until you (hopefully) get a green light, and know the bad card. The GORE board is sensitive... but not THAT sensitive. If you use the lever handles to extract it, and set it down carefully on a static free soft surface ... and don't drop anything on it ... then reinsert it pushing only on those lever things; it will be fine. I've installed a lot of them - not always as gently as is desirable - with no problems. Be static safe.
If you want to swap the touchpanel assemblies between boxes: take a tranquillizer first, and don't think of trying it without a 6mm nutdriver.

Nerijus Marmokas
Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2013 08:57 AM      Profile for Nerijus Marmokas   Email Nerijus Marmokas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had an issue like this with DP3000 also. It does not respond to dallas key, and is constantly in "tamper event" warning and red tail lights.
But it works. DCPs play fine, as if there was nothing wrong with the projector.
And as the board is quite expensive we did not change it. For more than a year for now..
By the way, I have tried moving the TI board (with gore protection) to another DP2000 and the fault moved along with it. This does not necessarily mean that your case is the same. Just sayin'

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2014 11:55 AM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought I'd update this problem. Got a call that all it was showing was snow. GORE board died. Replaced it and all is well.
A few thoughts about this machine. According to the Barco parts guys, the DP2000 will not be supported after the end of the year. Also, they are no longer making parts, all they have is what's on the shelf. The GORE board I got was scheduled for a recharge 2 days after I picked it up.
If anybody has a DP2000, make your backups with Communicator 4.7.6 as the newer versions corrupt the settings.
Also, does anybody else think the new Barco partner site is a few steps backwards? None of the older software is listed, you need to call and get sent a link. Dolby's site isn't nearly as easy to find older manuals and software. Just my 2 cents.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-09-2014 12:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a rear cover (non operator side) tamper switch cause this same issue. Check to see if the bat has come off the switch or if it is not being seated properly when the metal cover is in place. I simply bypassed the one in the projector I had issues with. You would think in this day and age that something more reliable than a el-crapo 10 cent switch would be used for these. Barko, NEC, Christie all use the same crap.

Mark

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-09-2014 02:57 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Ranucci
as the newer versions corrupt the settings
What do you mean "corrupt the settings"?? [Eek!] There is no information about it from Barco, is that official or do we have to find it ourselves??

Steve, could a type 4 refuse to do TLS just because the Gore is missing? Or in other words: could a server refuse to do TLS because of a type 4 board - where certificates can be extracted?
I remember you mentioned in the past some boards which were supposed to do TLS but in fact they wouldn't, for no apparent reason.

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-10-2014 06:21 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is correct, use Communicator 4.7.6 for Series 1 backups. 4.7.9 will not do a "Preset" backup.

TLS does NOT check for the presence of a GORE board ("security enclosure") or not. I have more TLS sessions going on non-Gore system than on GORE systems. My only GORE boards (for any brand projector) are those on VPF programs as it was a condition for them. I have had once instance where a CAT862 refused to establish a TLS session with a Christie series 1 (ZX) projector. It turns out that the issue was with the CAT862. Reinstalling the software and ticking "install all components" (which puts it back to factory fresh) cleared that issue.

I have not heard about the ending of support for the DP2000. I would find that strange since it is only 4 years out of production. They JUST stopped support for the DP100 and it was a full 8 years out of production and there were fewer of those. There are also a lot of crossover parts that go between the DP2000 and the DP2K-20C. So I wouldn't worry too much about parts for it. But I do think this is the shape of things to come in DCinema and I've said it all along...the longevity for computer based stuff is never going be anywhere near what we have enjoyed in the electromechanical world of film equipment.

As to the support sites. I agree that I prefer the previous incarnations of both Barco and Dolby's. Perhaps from just familiarity or perhaps I could get what I wanted faster. I think what the new sites do is from the manufacturer's point of view is to meter out who has access to what while having a single site for all.

You can get the previous stuff on the Barco site...don't click on the "direct download" link, click on the name of the thing you want. That will present the list as before. One thing I prefer on this one is not being kicked back to the home screen each time...back just takes you back one page. You can also set up in your "bookmarks" to take you directly to page you normally frequent. So if you have a DP2K-20C in your theatre, just bookmark that page's "firmware" tab and you can no go directly there without clicking through a bunch of pages. For the most part, going to any projector's firmware page gets you access to everything...the notable exception is the "S" projectors that are on a different firmware track.

As for Dolby, getting their server software is faster now by a page or two since one no longer has to go through additional "Security" steps...if your account is approved, it is approved. For other stuff, it is an extra click or two away though.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-10-2014 08:32 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve.
Never noticed that 4.7.9 would not do preset backups, but I usually do full backups. Nice to know I am not corrupting anything!

And thanks about non-gore boards. That is what I thought.

Cheers
Marco

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-11-2014 06:29 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

Just found this on the Doremi support:

quote:
When upgrading your Dolphin card to a DOL12 (Dolphin DCI FIPS 1.2) with FW 21.03r which is DCI/SMPTE/ISO compliant, you need to make sure your series 1 PJ has been upgraded to support the DCASM (Digital Cinema Auditorium Security Message) this is the communication that a DCI/SMPTE/ISO server needs to be able to play.

This is known as the GORE board / interface board version 5 or 6. Please check with you PJ manufacture.

And I have got a type 4 that does not want to work with a Doremi on DCI firmware. I am a little confused, do Dolby Servers work differently? I am reasonable confident - as you confirm - that a Type 4 can do TLS; any chance a Doremi is looking for the Gore then?

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-11-2014 07:09 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not tried to run a Doremi on a non-Gore...so I cannot say. I can say with confidence I have run Dolbys (and I believe we have a GDC) running on non-Gore systems.

John Roddy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2014 01:06 AM      Profile for John Roddy   Author's Homepage   Email John Roddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I checked Barco's site today to get the latest release of all software, and I noticed something quite peculiar when I checked on the Communicator program (4.8.13): the release notes for the newest version specifically state that it's fixed cloning on series 1 projectors. Can anyone confirm that this has resolved the preset backup issues mentioned here?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: