Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » which app do you use for QT playback

Author Topic: which app do you use for QT playback
Anhtu Vu
Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2013 09:22 PM      Profile for Anhtu Vu   Email Anhtu Vu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone here playing back MOV files for film festival ??

What hardware and/or software do you use ??? In the case of computer with software player...How do you make sure the audience never end up seeing the mouse curser...thx

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-19-2013 04:16 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Quicktime Player 7Pro (7.6).

It may not be the most efficient Player, but I guess on modern machines there is enough performance. It supports a secondary screen for playout.

What I do like especially about it is the ability to create reference movies with individual playback parameters attached to them.

The only thing I am really missing is a Playlist feature.

Under Windows, we use MPC-HC, we found that to be reliable enough, and it has all necessary options, yet is more complicated to set up initially.

- Carsten

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2013 02:13 PM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
None.

Get films weeks in advance, make a DCP out of them using free tools. Or ask for DCPs.

Stand firm.

If you don't, you will be responsible for 'bad presentation', 'tech problems', 'not being prepared' etc.

Same goes for other thread about a h264 playback machine.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-20-2013 02:26 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aja Ki-Pro.

Plays back Pro Res 4:2:2 (sound must be PCM, not AAC). Works reliably. Can be automated via RS422. Comes in both portable and rack-mountable versions. Not horrifically expensive. Has every possible kind of I/O (and can convert between them), and works with any video projector, not just D-cinema equipment. Also works as a recording device.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-20-2013 04:12 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an aside, but I wonder why anyone would bother making a ProRes file with AAC audio. I mean they're already going ProRes, the audio file-size savings wouldn't be enough to make much of a difference in what's already a huge file.

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2013 01:33 AM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Specifying 'QT playback' is nonsense. QT is again a container with a myriad codec combinations possible. Chance of having it work efficiently/well/even is dependent on the exact codec combination and the fact you have it and your processor power and the program playing it. Chance of it going wrong (ie. no audio, jitter, unsupported codec,..) without one checking every file in advance is great.

Aja Ki Pro is a great playback device for Prores. That said, it is not an APP but a separate hardware device. It costs a bunch (3-4kUSD). It supports a couple of codecs and mainly Prores inside a .mov.

QT otoh is (from wiki) a combination of:

audio
Advanced Audio Coding (AAC)
AMR Narrowband
Apple Lossless
Au file format
Audio Interchange File Format (AIFF)
A-law
Core Audio Format
MACE
Microsoft Adaptive DPCM (MS ADPCM)
MIDI
MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3 (MP3)
Pulse-code modulation (PCM)
QCELP (Qualcomm PureVoice)
QDesign
Waveform Audio File Format (WAV)
μ-law

video
3GP and 3G2
Animated GIF
Animation
Apple ProRes
Audio Video Interleave (AVI)
DV
Cinepak
Component Video
Graphics
H.261
H.262/MPEG-2 Part 2[7]
H.263
H.264/MPEG-4 AVC
Microsoft Video 1
MPEG-1
MPEG-4 Part 2
Motion JPEG
Pixlet
Planar RGB
Qtch
QuickTime Movie
QuickTime VR
Sorenson Video

At varying resolutions and bitrates from 300kbps to 125Mbps or more. Take your chance.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-21-2013 09:12 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe--I have no idea why anyone would do that, but I have seen it happen.

The only significant issue that I have seen with the Ki-Pro is that, if used as a recording device, the output signal is the same type as the input signal. Which is to say that (for example) an SD NTSC monitor cannot be used to monitor the signal when recording a 1080p23.98 signal. It will downconvert the input if desired, but will then only record in SD.

Also, the rack mountable version will accept two hard disks, but will only use one at a time, as opposed to using the second disk as a mirror of the first and/or allowing long recordings to span both disks.

Still, though, it is a great box for the price. We ended up buying one for a performing-arts house, both to record live productions using a security-type camera permanently mounted in the house and to play back custom-made "coming soon" video promos before both films and live events. I have also rented them for playback of custom video promo spots for film festivals and for recording film Q&As directly to disk via HD-SDI.

Sound Devices makes something similar, but their unit is designed more for production than for exhibition, and has a number of limitations that make the Aja unit a better choice for exhibition-oriented users.

Kirk Futrell
Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2013 11:38 AM      Profile for Kirk Futrell   Author's Homepage   Email Kirk Futrell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use VLC for just about any video file on our IMacs. If you have the prores codec, available from buying final cut x or I think from buying "Compressor" for 50 bucks. VLC is VERY customizable and will allow you to have dual displays with one being your projector and the playlist on screen on your primary display. Also very easy to change audio and subtitle options and outputs. You can also make an a playlist save it to the desktop and with one double click you can play the playlist in full screen on the projector with no play icons or any of that nonsense.

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2013 12:00 PM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to spend a little cash you could go with Archimdeia Reference Player with a Bluefish 444 4K SDI card. The player will playback any media format and codec ever made along with DCP's.

http://www.archimediatech.com/#!archimedia-reference-player/c1yc2

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-21-2013 12:34 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see no price for the player. Do you have a number? The number of available DCP Player software is growing, this being the latest addition.

- Carsten

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2013 01:05 PM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not cheap. $2000.00 for the software, $3000 for HD-SDI card, $5000 for 4K SDI card. This is more of a archival tool as it will playback Samma files, JPG2000, Digital Rapids, Front Porch Digital, Amberfin codecs etc... plus uncompressed media.

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2013 04:17 AM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Add to that the fact one needs a PC worth at least 3k makes this an 'app' for 10kUSD.

Again, why put this in a cinema environment for playback purposes?

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2013 05:42 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You wouldn't unless you have loads of cash, or are QCing incoming digitized files at an archive.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: