Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby DSS 220 & IMB

Author Topic: Dolby DSS 220 & IMB
Peter Maddock
Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2013 08:18 AM      Profile for Peter Maddock   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone experienced problems with the Dolby DSS220 and IMB (on a Barco DP2K-10S)with feature subtitles being played over prior clips about 1min before the subtitled features commence playing. Our installer is contacting Dolby about the issue.
We have worked around it by running subtitled features as separate shows with no other clips in the playlist.

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-13-2013 08:28 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What software version are you using?

Peter Maddock
Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2013 02:50 PM      Profile for Peter Maddock   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Our digital readiness form says the Dolby CAT745-IMB is System version 4.7.0-26. There is no version listed for the DSS220.
The system was installed only a month ago so I assume all the latest updates were applied.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-13-2013 04:32 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well 4.7 has not been released yet, even though I know that it's been tested and it's ready to go.

Anyway no, I haven't got feedbacks of such behaviour. Does it happen with every subtitled CPL or only with some?

Subtitles are delivered by the server to the ICP board, you may want to check your ICP version too.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-13-2013 06:31 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4.7.0 should not have been installed, in my opinion. It is betaware and 4.7.0.26 isn't even current betaware. The next beta version did address subtitle issues that showed up on the first playing of each show.

My guess is that they used the Beta software to get the HDMI ports working since you have a 10S and you probably needed some form of alternative content.

I suggest asking your installer to update your software.

Peter Maddock
Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2013 02:45 AM      Profile for Peter Maddock   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the responses so far.

I am interested that 4.7 software is beta.

We did specify that we required alternative content via the HDMI ports. This apparently required beta software as until then the HDMI ports on the IMB were not available.

What is the current non beta software version?

Sounds like we might need to backdate the software!

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-14-2013 11:55 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4.6.1-4 but that will disable your HDMI ports!
If you need HDMI, I would wait till the final 4.7 is released or I'd ask for the latest beta which, as Steve mentioned, fixes some subs issues even though there is no mention to the specific problem you are experiencing.

BTW, a feedback on your HDMI ports? Do they work well?

Peter Maddock
Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2013 02:58 PM      Profile for Peter Maddock   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
The HDMI ports seem to be working well. We have screened the Blu-ray Mother via the HDMI input.
We are using a Gefen Scaler and also eventually hope to run our Ecinema server to the Barco via the scaler and HDMI.
I am trying to get all media as DCP and I am using DCP-O-Matic to convert our own advertising to this format. I am also converting downloaded trailers (MP4) to DCP.
DCP conversion can take a long time so I am looking at ways to speed up the process. I have tried using the DVD-O-Matic decode server using two PC's which gave some improvement. But need to look for further improvements as a conversion of our 8 minute slide show takes 2 hours! Faster network connection, and faster PC's?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-14-2013 03:12 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given that the 745 HDMI input (and I guess any HDMI port) only supports HD, why are you using a scaler at all if you're running Blu Ray?

What I'm trying to find out about the HDMI inputs of the 745 is whether it's working reliably, if you had issues locking on signals and so.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-14-2013 03:25 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fastest machines will do about 6-12 frames per second with dvd-o-matic.

8 minutes are 11520 frames. So if you get a fast 4-6 core CPU, you will get it down to maybe 30minutes. With network nodes, you need a dedicated gigabit ethernet (switch), as DVD-o-matic currently sends uncompressed bitmaps to the render nodes over the network. That will saturate even a gigabit ethernet quickly. And the faster the render nodes, the faster the network is saturated.

- Carsten

Peter Maddock
Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2013 03:44 PM      Profile for Peter Maddock   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
There is some delay in switching the DSS220 from the server to HDMI, about 30 seconds. We have only used the HDMI for one screening however it worked reliably. Part of the connection delay may also have been with the scaler.
The scaler was recommended by our installer and to some extent it is a feature which might only be used occasionally. It gives us a range of input options, for instance running our Ecinema server to the Barco. The Ecinema is only 720P but the Barco is a much better projector than the Panasonic 5000 on our Ecinema system.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2013 11:00 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a V4.7.0.27 for those *needing* the HDMI ports.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: