Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dead pixels on Sony 2D show through Real-D Adaptor at Regal?

Author Topic: Dead pixels on Sony 2D show through Real-D Adaptor at Regal?
Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2013 05:50 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a 2D show of Gravity at a Regal in a 3D capable auditorium. Of course, in this situation even if it was a 4K DCP there was no chance of removing the stupid Real-D thing for the 2D shows since they were doing 2D and 3D shows in the same auditorium.

Anyway, on the screen there were two small black dots about 2/3 the way up and slightly right of center that were present all the time. I thought they were dead pixels at first but I didn't see how that would be possible given the Real-D adapter. Even if there were 2 dead pixels on the SXRD chip, wouldn't the second image cover them with half brightness pixels?

From my viewing location about 1/3 the way back, the dots were clearly visible and seemd crisp and square. Any ideas what could cause this?

If anybody from Regal monitors this forum, the show was in auditorium 14 at the Sawgrass Mills location.

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-11-2013 07:58 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I posted on here years ago a similar experience. Turns out someone had thrown a JuJuBee at the screen and it stuck. Are you sure it wasn't just something stuck to the screen?

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2013 08:36 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
I posted on here years ago a similar experience. Turns out someone had thrown a JuJuBee at the screen and it stuck. Are you sure it wasn't just something stuck to the screen?
I can't say no 100% but the two dots seemed to be lined up with eachother horizontally and they were very crisp black.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2013 11:40 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
Turns out someone had thrown a JuJuBee at the screen and it stuck.
I had a similar experience several years ago, but in my case it turned out to be
a large beetle that had attached itself to the screen. I considered removing it
with a broom or stick, but was apprensive about damaging the screen surface,
or worse yet, crushing or 'smooshing' the beetle onto it.

So, between shows, I went backstage with can of compressed air, got up on a
ladder and blew it off from behind. It landed somewhere in the first row.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-11-2013 12:23 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you had a stuck pixel on a Sony, you'd see it on only one eye. The two eyes are generated by two different parts of the chip, a defect will be shown on only one eye.

Unless you're lucky enough to have two stuck pixels, in different parts of the chip, which happen to converge in 3D! [Smile]

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2013 08:43 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had this happen too and it was a wad of chew. Stained the screen too.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2013 09:08 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the stuck pixel makes even less sense given the 3 chip projector so all 3 chips would have to have 2 pixels dead that matched between the 2 images.

Next time I'm there I'll go closer to the screen to see what it is.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: