Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » help needed with dolby server for projecting commercials using external PC

Author Topic: help needed with dolby server for projecting commercials using external PC
Alexander Tarakin
Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2013 02:25 PM      Profile for Alexander Tarakin   Author's Homepage   Email Alexander Tarakin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi all, in my cinema we project commercials with a PC. the PC is connected to the doremi server via ethernet cable and to the projector via DVI cable and to the cp750 via digital sound cable. in the device manager i add the PC with his ip address so i can send him text command for "play" - to begin the commercial playlist.

the SPL in the doremi is build like this:
cue for sound channel, projector alternative content channel, text massage for the PC for starting the ADV playlist and a pause command to stop the SPL in the doremi.
then i have a trigger cue: wait for signal play from any device (in my case from the PC, which he sends after he finishes the ADV playlist).

So my question is: can the same be done with a dolby server?

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-04-2013 02:49 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only using serial commands. Dolby do not support custom ethernet commands.

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2013 11:57 PM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why does everybody make it so difficult?

Just convert your commercials on the pc in DCP format and add them to your regular playlist.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-05-2013 12:34 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Why does everybody make it so difficult?

Just don't play the stupid commercials in the first place. NOBODY wants to see them. [Razz]

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2013 06:23 AM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah but they are essential income for the cinema (even though no customers want them) It that how adverts are delivered in Israel, as a PC file? Can you not ask the ad company to send DCP?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-05-2013 09:04 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've seen, the income from them to the theatre is REALLY small...such that covering the cost of lamps and electricity is a significant portion of the "income". And if you cause any measurable amount of former patrons to not show up to the cinema or not come as often, then their "income" is REALLY in question.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-05-2013 09:17 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that if you run a few minutes of commercials, it's ok. When the adverts block runs for 15 minutes and the total delay before the feature is 20-25 minutes then you begin losing customers.
Unfortunately the latter is the norm.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2013 10:01 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting discussion. Does anyone have real numbers on profit percentage due to ads (percent of total theater profit)?

Also, stuff would be a lot simpler if all non-live content (including preshow audio only content) were on DCP and you just scheduled the day. Live content would come in HDMI. We just have too much hardware now with all these content sources, switching, etc.

Harold

Alexander Tarakin
Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2013 01:03 PM      Profile for Alexander Tarakin   Author's Homepage   Email Alexander Tarakin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know whay about your cinemas...
But in our cinemas in israel we make some nice money out of adv...

BTW how do i build command for "pause" & "play" in dolby..

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2013 03:03 PM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We get a payment every three months from our advertisements and it certainly helps when its a single screen cinema, should we have a quieter month. Generally we get around 15 mins from Pearl and Dean to play per show.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-05-2013 05:37 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can pause and play a Dolby by NA10, Serial and GPIO.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-14-2013 07:53 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
so i can send him text command for "play" - to begin the commercial playlist.
then i have a trigger cue: wait for signal play from any device (in my case from the PC, which he sends after he finishes the ADV playlist).

What software and physical interfacing is used on the PC to accomplish this? On the Dolby, only RS232 can be used for RAW commands. You may be able to adjust the PC/Player setup for this.

Regarding DCP conversion - we do that from time to time, but for our preshow-content we still use PowerPoint (dual monitor setup). Simply because it is a lot easier and faster to edit slideshows day-to-day than to recompile DCPs. However, in our case that is not video, but slides. For video, we convert it with DVD-o-matic and play it as DCPs. But these are not intermixed with the PowerPoint slides.
The local advertizing through powerpoint is all before the advertized showtimes. It creates quite a bit of income for us, and the local businesses like it a lot. We do our own advertizing and announcements intermixed with it. PowerPoint is crap, but for this application it is the best we can get, + local businesses can create their own slides if they want, as nearly every business PC has it installed.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: