Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » A better explaination of the CP750 ACSII Command Set (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: A better explaination of the CP750 ACSII Command Set
Owen Morgan
Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2013 08:20 PM      Profile for Owen Morgan   Email Owen Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Everyone,

As always, this is THE place for help!! [Smile]

I was just wondering, at the back of the CP750 manual is the full ASCII command instruction set. I am however struggling to decipher what some of them actually do..... for Instance Fader_delta can have a lot of different interpretations as to is usage (I believed it to mean change the fader level by a defined delta value.... implying delta to mean 'change in'....)..

A lot of the functions are not, if at all described very well.... Is there anywhere where the meanings of the ASCII commands is defined (like some form of syntax guide, like for coding languages)?

You may say, if I don't already know, then I shouldn't be meddling etc... but my response would be, how am to learn in the first place?

So is there a full ACSII command set definition guide?

Thank you in advanced!

Owen.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-02-2013 09:50 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Owen, do not start your posts with "RE:" like a response to an email.

If you are responding to an existing thread, then reply to it. Don't start a new one.

Likewise don't start new threads giving the impression they are a response.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 10-03-2013 07:37 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The command set as listed is pretty much completely. There are a few commands not in the list I have, for features added after the manual was published: the 7.1 commands for example.
Nobody I know of ever uses 99% of the commands. The CP750 control program probably uses most of them, but when would you want to control the EQ or any number of other commands otherwise?
The only commands I've automated are input mode and fader level, plus the 5.1/7.1 switching. I have tried sending decode method commands as well for the 2 channel digital and non-sync inputs but no cinema has used these as far as I know.
I don't know what problem you're having. You just send the command and termination string, and the processor does what you asked.
If you want to know the effect of some obscure command that has no use in normal automation, I'm no help.

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2013 11:31 AM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, does this mean you have worked out a string to switch the digi 1 (AES) input to a "sort of" pro logic mode? My day titles are stereo only from my server, and i tried to work out a method of switching that to give a form of decoded surround from the left and right and then switch back to discreet. I have worked out the 5.1/7.1 switching and thats fine. If you have mastered this one, a string would be much appreciated.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-03-2013 02:28 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the CP750 setup sofrware, go on Avanced/Expert view (if memory serves).

ALL the commands are listed there and those are actual commands.

Owen Morgan
Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2013 07:28 PM      Profile for Owen Morgan   Email Owen Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,

Thank you for your responses,

What I'm really asking is the commands are listed, both in the manuals and the expert view, but the 'Definitions' of the commands is vague....

My example for delta_fader was that its not explained what delta_fader actually does..... other than this is the delta_fader command and its values range from -100 to 100.....

does that make sense?

Cheers,

Owen.

PS. the only real reason for asking is just to make sure that I'm not underutilising the macro potentials if you know what I mean. I wanted to create a slow fade out (the mute_fade_out_time limit of 5 seconds is in my eyes not long enough.....), however, I can't insert a shed load of fader commands, if I don't know what the original fader level is set to (otherwise, I could end up making it louder before fading out which kinda defeats the point!!)....

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-14-2013 08:18 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently trying to 'emulate' a CP750 on our AP20 in order to control the AP20 through serial from a Sony. I have hooked a Hypterterminal PC to the Sony to find out what is going own. The Sony sends an initial CP750.sys.mute ? request to the processor to find out wether it is actually connected. So far I wasn't able to answer it correctly it seems. I guess there is no more documentation on the serial protocol, you simply have to find about about the commands yourself. The docs say there is a 'simple' and expert mode (the latter one giving you control about configs, etc. as well, not just format and volume).

I'm currently reading the CP750 manual ver5, but I find no mentioning of a termination character. As I do not have a CP750 for testing, I'm stuck. Another cinema nearby has CP750, I might go there for some testing. I'm only after volume cues.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-15-2013 11:34 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe there is a termination character.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-16-2013 09:00 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But it does expect something like CR/LF after a command?

- Carsten

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-16-2013 09:26 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe so. I think when it receives the right sequence of characters...it acts upon them.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-16-2013 06:09 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I guess it's best to do some testing on a physical CP750 then.

- Carsten

Owen Morgan
Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2013 08:23 PM      Profile for Owen Morgan   Email Owen Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose then, from my original question at least.... Dolby provide the command list, but then somehow expect you to magically know what everything does and how it works?

Ahh well.....

Thanks all the same!

Owen.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2013 12:45 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Owen Morgan
Dolby provide the command list, but then somehow expect you to magically know what everything does and how it works?
That's where 20+ years of industry experience comes into play [Wink] [beer]

Owen Morgan
Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2013 09:28 AM      Profile for Owen Morgan   Email Owen Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hahaha!

Just a shame if your trying to start your 20+ years experience!! I can't learn as much as I want to!!

Wow that sounds very nerdy!

Thanks,

Owen.

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-17-2013 10:24 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno...I often have to "play" with a particular box to see just what it wants from its command set. Rarely do things just work since the engineer that came up with the system may not think the same way I do.

I have not had any issues with the CP750 commands with 3rd party stuff either. It just seems to work. Heck, there is a guy with a CP750 App for your smartphone that uses those commands just fine too.

I guess what I'm saying is...the CP750 isn't that hard if you know what you are doing with serial/TCP commands, in general.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: