Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Converting a Blu-ray (or DVD) to DCP (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Converting a Blu-ray (or DVD) to DCP
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-25-2013 11:57 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To make matinees easier (since we often can't get DCPs of them) I'm experimenting with converting movies from Blu-Ray. First I tried doing "Apollo 13" from a DVD, and then "The Blues Brothers" from a Blu-Ray. (Figured if I'm going to experiment, might as well do it with movies I like.)

I used "MakeMKV" to convert the video files, and then "DVD-o-Matic" to convert to DCP. The various channels come through fine and the picture looks great, but there is an issue with the sound. The center channel gets overdriven on very loud bits (like the launch scene in Apollo) to the point where the speaker makes a "crackling" distortion sound. I tried lowering the volume even to below "movie-watching" level and the sound is still there, so it seems like it's gotta be with the source material somehow. The problem is MUCH worse with Apollo 13....maybe because the source is a DVD(?)

I did not notice this when playing the same movies directly from the discs...but, I don't think our system decodes the sound the same way when playing DVDs or Blu-Rays. (The player (Oppo) is connected with an HDMI cable and just a left/right patch cord for the audio.)

What's strange is, this distortion sound only seems to come from the center...when there is big-time noise on the left/right or surrounds the problem isn't there.

I also notice a kind of stridency in the sound (harshness) that's not there with a regular cinema DCP....could that be the ever-popular "home" mix coming through?

I thought maybe there was a problem in our center speaker (QSC 3-way) but regular movies sound great and I don't notice any of these problems with them.

I've pretty much left the defaults alone in everything during my conversion process, so is there something I ought to be changing to improve on this?

|  IP: Logged

Carl Hetherington
Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2013 12:06 PM      Profile for Carl Hetherington   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Hetherington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,

Try dropping the audio gain in DVD-o-matic (audio tab) to something like -12dB. I'm not entirely sure why, but quite a lot of DVD/BR material ends up with very hot audio which clips somewhere inside DVD-o-matic.

If you still have the DVD-o-matic "films" (projects) that you created those DCPs with, you should find that if you drop the audio gain and re-run "Make DCP" it will skip through quite quickly (just checking that the video is right, and re-creating the audio part).

Best

Carl

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-30-2013 03:43 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Carl, I'll give that a try. Sounds like a fix.

Matthew Philp
Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2013 12:08 PM      Profile for Matthew Philp   Email Matthew Philp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,

Did this work for you? I'm in the process of converting a few shorts (113) for our regional film festival and have noticed the same problem on a few of the files I have converted.

Thanks

Matthew

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-02-2013 12:21 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had deleted all the files of the movie I was working on to save disk space so I need to start from scratch on it, and I've had to be out of town a few days lately so time hasn't permitted. It's on my to-do list for this week though. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2013 12:42 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If re-encoding Blu-Ray to a DCP does DVD-o-Matic convert color space and bit depth.

Thank you.

Carl Hetherington
Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2013 03:42 PM      Profile for Carl Hetherington   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Hetherington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Alan Gouger
If re-encoding Blu-Ray to a DCP does DVD-o-Matic convert color space and bit depth.
Yes, it attempts to give a reasonably "straight" encoding (converting to the XYZ colour-space in 12-bit).

Carl

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2013 09:47 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've considered doing this to make our classic midnight showings easier.

Does DVD-o-Matic retain 5.1 sound from an MKV with a Dolby Digital or DTS track? If so, is there anything special you're doing to achieve that? Also I'm curious, what's your JPEG2000 bitrate of choice?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-18-2013 03:02 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, DVD-o-matic will transfer AC-3 or DTS encoded multichannel audio to discrete PCM channels.

The compression ratio does not influence encoding speed. So if there is enough space on the disc or server, just use higher datarates, that is, 150-200 MBit/s.

'grainy' old style footage may need a higher rate than animation style footage, and flat would need a higher rate than scope. I usually just leave it at 200 for BluRay conversions. Recompression is always 'bad', so, use higher rates as much as possible.

- Carsten

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2013 10:17 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you! I used DVD-o-Matic to transcode our midnight screening of Friday the 13th... worked like a charm and even retained the 5.1 audio.

Is there currently any support for Dolby TrueHD and/or DTS-MA? When I ripped the Blu-ray I only extracted the "core" audio so as to not cause issues.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-27-2013 09:53 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem to my knowledge. These things are handled internally by FFMPEG, which is able to deal with TrueHD and DTS HD-MA.

I regularly extract DTS-HD MA for DCP conversions.

- Carsten

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2013 11:15 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished my first movie using DVD-O-Matic. When ingesting to the Sony 515 it does not show up. Does the drive have to be formatted to EXT2 or EXT3?

Thank you.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 10-29-2013 11:39 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't the DCI specs say that the distribution format for the hard disk be either EXT2 or EXT3? I believe support for others, such as NTFS were hit or miss.

Though if you are using a disk that you've successfully used before, I'd think it's not due to the file system.

Michael Kurtzke
Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2013 11:50 PM      Profile for Michael Kurtzke   Email Michael Kurtzke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Alan Gouger
Just finished my first movie using DVD-O-Matic. When ingesting to the Sony 515 it does not show up. Does the drive have to be formatted to EXT2 or EXT3?

Thank you.

Alan, with our 515's we just use a Western Digital My Passport portable hard drive using the NTFS Format.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-30-2013 06:39 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sony supports NTFS.

Alan, try to copy e.g. a DCP trailer etc. on that same drive and see wether it is visible for ingest. If it is, simply create a short DCP with DVD-o-matic, any video file from the internet. Copy the whole folder of files to the drive. Try of that works. Then go ahead with a full BluRay conversion.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: