Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Automation on dual projectors

Author Topic: Automation on dual projectors
James Crowley
Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2013 03:21 AM      Profile for James Crowley         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking into automation 2 NEC series 2s running on a Dolby ds200 (862 media block) it's setup for dual projector on the 862 but for some reason the second machine won't automate. NEC and Dolby can't understand why so a jnior was fitted. That worked for a short time but fell over. I'm looking at a rs232 relay board now and going in to the gpio of the projector (link below) anyone else had this? Thanks.
http://sigma-shop.com/product/9/rs232-serial-com-controlled-eight-channel-relay-board-12v-box.html

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-21-2013 03:32 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand that on a dual projector setup only one machine is automated, for the second one you'll have to set up an RS232 connection between the Dolby and the Projector. If you call the serial cues with the same name of the ethernet ones (say "Lamp On"), then when either "lamp on" is called, both will be fired.
If you don't use the second machine for 2D, just give the RS232 cues a different name and put both cues when you need both machines (say "Lamp on" and "Lamp on 2")

I'm also sure that Dolby know about it, there are instruction sheets from them describing the procedure. Maybe you mean your authorised Dolby engineer?

James Crowley
Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2013 03:38 AM      Profile for James Crowley         Edit/Delete Post 
I still need to relay board to convert the rs232 signal to gpio though? As far as I can tell there aren't any add ons provided by NEC or Dolby for dual automation

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-22-2013 12:44 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barco and Christie allow for controlling the projector via serial, so I will guess that NEC does as well. What's been suggested is to run a serial cable from the Dolby server to the second projector, and just add serial cues in the server to do the control functions you want from the projector.
You only get one serial device controlled from the server though: if you have a Jnior you can make it do a lot of tricks, including talking to another serial port - and either just passing commands through or running internal macros that would control the second projector more elegantly.
I haven't used GPIO for anything... yet.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-22-2013 12:47 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Dave says, as long as NEC is controllable by serial (don't know to be honest but I can't see why not), you need to control the second machine by serial. If you need the serial for something else, put a Jnior in between.

James Crowley
Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2013 05:08 PM      Profile for James Crowley         Edit/Delete Post 
Great thanks, there is a passive 3D system installed so the serial isn't used. I just need a serial to serial cable then? I've checked the manual and it says use a straight rs232 cable for PC control. I'm assuming that means the same for serial control from a Dolby server as well. There are some commands already written for the serial commands on the Dolby. Are these going to need editing?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-23-2013 05:48 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will need to create macros on the Dolby to control the second NEC. I cannot help you on this but if you found the syntax then you only need to create the cues. Make sure your serial port is configured correctly to talk to the NEC, it's in the same "serial automation" tab.

Also, I'm not aware of a 3D system using a serial port. Some use the GPIO port, some the 3D port. None of those are RS232 ports.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-23-2013 09:37 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would connect a PC to the projector and try the serial commands to confirm they work and the communication settings required. Assuming you can find a PC that has a serial port - I have had very mixed results with USB-serial adapters. A real hardware serial port is preferable. When you find the port settings (speed, handshaking, stop, parity, and whatever else there is) that work and get the command syntax right you can try it from the server. Starting with the server has been very frustrating for me - at least using hyperterminal you should see any replies from the projector.
The Dolby serial settings are pretty straightforward except for the termination string. In my experience this has to be changed fro \OA to \OD to get projector or Jnior commands to work.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2013 01:33 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any hands-on experience with the jnior, but from reading up on it, it seems that it works pretty similar to an eCNA in that it can accept commands from one or more Ethernet or RS-232 sources, and send commands to multiple devices. Why can't it be set up to accept the serial cues from the Dolby which activate macros in the jnior that would control both projectors over Ethernet?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-23-2013 04:17 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

Sure, why not. That way you can set your own easy serial commands. I've seen some manufacturer's serial commands and they are just wrong!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: