Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » GDC Firmware

Author Topic: GDC Firmware
Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2013 04:02 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know there were some problems a while back with versions 8.xx of GDC firmware with very long reboot times and other bugs.

I have stayed at version 7.83 for a while waiting for those problems to be solved.

Have the newer versions worked out those problems, should we stay with what we have or do an update when our tech comes next month?

GDC SX2000 with IMB in projector.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-19-2013 04:23 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
8.01 build 108 has been running rather stably for some time now in our theatres. GDC hasn't gone beyond build 108 for 8.01 for some time too. That indicates to me that it has pretty much settled.

My question to you is...if you are not on a VPF program (and you couldn't be if you are running non-DCI compliant versions of the software)...why bother changing? What are you hoping to accomplish? We have a client that is non-VPF and we have not moved beyond 7.83 for him either. And that is not just a GDC thing...we have Dolby clients on 4.3.5(9) because it is rock solid too.

The DCI compliant software, by and large, doesn't get one anything, operationally, yet. Though there are now features trickling in that are coming now that the DCI complaint part has been "solved." But most of what I see in everyone's software development is getting their various (CURRENT) IMBs to work better or completely.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2013 04:47 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problems, No VPF. Just looking to stay up to date if there were any new features (like being able to see complete titles when uploading a film).

But, if there is no upside, we will just stay where we are.

Steve Guttag

- posted 09-19-2013 06:55 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can think of no upside (feature wise).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-19-2013 08:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even GDC will tell ya to stay at 7.83 unless you are on VPF. Leave well enough alone! It IS possible to go back to 7.83 after doing an 8.XX update though. But you will need your tech or GDC's assistance to do so.

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2013 12:24 AM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that an SX2000 or 2000AR?
If it is the latter you might get the HDMI input on the IMB working with the update.
We updated ours and now have 2D and 3D BluRay presentation capability.

Steve Guttag

- posted 09-20-2013 08:07 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2000ARs were never on any software below 9.0 So it would be the older IMB.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2013 10:26 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Adam Fraser
Just looking to stay up to date if there were any new features (like being able to see complete titles when uploading a film).
Is there an 'expand' button when you are in the content management menu? I know we upgraded all of our systems to the 8.01 build (because we are on V.P.F.s) and we have this capability. But is it not there on the 7.83 build?

When you push that button it expands out the file name, so you can read the entire thing.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: