Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » THE. WIZARD OF OZ in IMAX and 3-D

Author Topic: THE. WIZARD OF OZ in IMAX and 3-D
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-19-2013 02:27 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THE WIZARD OF OZ in IMAX and 3-D opens tomorrow for a one week run and I have been very curious about it ever since it was announced that Warner Brothers will release such a version to IMAX theatres. Because of it's very short play date, I doubt WB will release the movie in the 15-70 format and only put it out in digital.

Advance reviews of the movie is very positive especially the 3-D. I have never cared too much for THE WIZARD OF OZ and consider it boring even when I first saw it when I was a child and is on the fence deciding if it is worth seeing the current version . My love for well made 3-D movies that has been converted from 2-D like TITANIC makes me want to see it, but the extra charge to see it IMAX .3-D is telling me to pass on seeing it.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-20-2013 12:21 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to see it, but I don't know if the Carmike in Billings (with their "XD" screen or whatever it's called) will play it. There is an Imax theater in West Yellowstone, but that's about 5 hours from here and they may not play it either -- they mostly play Yellowstone documentaries and similar types of shows, not mainstream Hollywood releases.

I ran the 3-D trailer for myself and thought it looked pretty good for a conversion on a 73-year-old movie, although the vibrant colors of the most recent restoration definitely look better in 2-D of course.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2013 05:32 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude, do not be surprised if The Wizard of Oz picks up a couple of matinee shows for a second week, with an R-rated Metallica concert movie coming to IMAX houses next.

EDIT: At least one IMAX theatre, the newly-renovated Grauman's Chinese Theatre, already does have one matinee show on sale for The Wizard of Oz, for the week of September 27th-October 3rd, just before Gravity arrives October 4th.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-20-2013 09:06 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have decided to see it and will go next Tuesday because that is the day Regal theatres here has hot fogs for a dollar and popcorn for two dollars. The Dole Cannery 18 here is a IMAX and. RPX complex and always put on a pretty good show.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: