Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » CP2220 fault.

Author Topic: CP2220 fault.
James Giesen
Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2013 09:45 AM      Profile for James Giesen   Author's Homepage   Email James Giesen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys, been awhile. Very new to the digital system.
We have 3 identical units with the Doremi severs.
One of the units shut the lamp down coming up with a "Lamp On request suspended due to power supply communications failure"Then later it came up with a "Ballast Coms Failure"
Advised by Christie that the Ballast failed as the lamp was replaced 1st.
A new Ballast was fitted but still come up with the same error.
Been through and checked all connections just in case but no problem found.
The Service guys who installed the systems 10 months ago are out of Australia doing installs and other techs are 3 to 4000 ks away. We were promised to have back up 24/7 but being 2400kls away from the closest city we are down for a few days. it now been 4 days and still no help.
Can some one point me in some direction as to what to check for.

Give me back my old PG35 or the VIC5 and Ill keep the system running.
Thanks Jim, Broome West Aust.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-19-2013 10:26 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This comes up as a communication error, so presumably it is just that.
I would first switch projector power off and re-seat all the boards in the secure card cage. Probably this would be an issue with the PIB but once you're in there just do them all. After that you will need to re-marry the projector security systems.
That procedure solves a lot of projector problems. There are many, many, many connections going through the card connectors and I guess they get a tiny bit corroded or whatever and things go awry.
If that doesn't help I would maybe try forcing a full install of the system software. You may have had a failed LPS but now the new (good) one has a firmware mismatch with the projector. If your projector has far out of date software you can have all sorts of interesting things happen when installing replacement parts. I don't recommend doing a version upgrade - that's best left to an experienced tech.
What's your comfort level in working with the secure area circuit cards and the software upgrade function?

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 11-28-2014 03:17 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 435 days since the last post.

Michael Johnston
Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2014 03:17 PM      Profile for Michael Johnston   Email Michael Johnston       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually having the same issue now. How involved is the processing of reseating those cards?

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-28-2014 04:51 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having just done this the other day on my 2210, I assume the procedure would be about the same on the 2220.

You need to unlock the secure cover under the top of the projector using the key, then remove the little "fence" that covers the cards on the outside of the projector. Push the red buttons on the inside edge of the black tabs on the sides of the cards to release the tabs, then twist the black tabs outward and the card will come out. Push the card back in again until it clicks into place and you're done. Close 'er up again, re-do the marriage thing and away you go. The whole job will probably take you about a half hour to do.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-28-2014 05:36 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take off the top cover, then the secure top cover (with the Medeco key). On the side of the card box is a little lever, unlock the card retaining cage with it and swing the cage open (handle at bottom right of the cage). Then use the card latches to lever the cards out. The latches are a pain in the butt. You also use them to lever the card back into place. Then put the cage back in and confirm it's latched in place. Covers back on, and perform marriage.
You need to log in as "marriage" and then do the process in service/marriage.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 10-29-2017 01:53 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1065 days since the last post.

Alexandre Pereira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2017 01:53 PM      Profile for Alexandre Pereira   Author's Homepage   Email Alexandre Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just had a similar problem with my CP2000-SB - there was a communication error between the projector and the ballast. Touch panel bulb icon showed a cross and red dot - bulb would not strike. At first I thought it was the bulb that had gone - inspecting the bulb it seemed fine.
I read the above thread and followed the instructions of re seating the boards - first time I did that and was useful to practice. Re seating did not help the ballast communication issue.
However, I spoke to Greg from this forum and he suggested re connecting the DB9 pin cables connecting the ballast to the projector. I reconnected top and bottom - clearing dust from the pins. I re started the CP2000 and it worked!
I suspect that the DB9 cable side into the projector came loose or perhaps the pins were slighting corroded. On the projector the interface cables plug into the underside and hang down.
Here at the Kingsway Theatre 1939 the concrete slab in the booth is thin - any vibration from the street or even people coming up the stairs can be felt.
I suspect that the vibration issue over time is not very helpful to cable connections. In fact I have had the 1/4 each side thin vertical red lines on screen - which a whack on the top cover would fix. Of course that is the boards coming loose in the light engine.
So much better with 35mm - digital is very unforgiving.

Alexandre Pereira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2017 01:36 PM      Profile for Alexandre Pereira   Author's Homepage   Email Alexandre Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had it happen again! Communication Error to the ballast. I spoke to Gordon from this forum and he suggested replacing the DB9 RS-232 cable on my Christie CP2000-SB from the projector head to the ballast.
Last night after the show - the bulb was off - I checked the projector at the end of the night and the red X and red DOT was on the bulb icon. It would not strike - now that I think about it I had noticed briefly the warning icon come up and then go away.
The factory cable inside is gray and looks to be custom made for the unit. I replaced it with an off the shelf cable and it worked right away. The original cable only has three pins and I have noticed in the past that those cables are not as sturdy.
Big problem here at the Kingsway is that the booth slab is very thin - lots of vibration - especially from passing trucks. Digital does not seem to like the vibrations too much - film has no problem with them - just push the 35mm projector back to align to the screen.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-11-2017 02:08 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if Sorbothane feet would be the answer.

I've heard of folks putting Sorbothane feet under their digital pianos to prevent the thump sound from going through the floor into the neighbour's apartment when they are playing, and my understanding is that they work very well to stop any kind of vibration. Maybe Sorbothane feet would be the thing to put under a projector where there's outside vibration.

I don't have that problem here, though, so I'm not the guy who's going to be finding out.

Alexandre Pereira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2017 03:11 PM      Profile for Alexandre Pereira   Author's Homepage   Email Alexandre Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorbothane feet - that is a good idea. The CP2000 is on a pedestal - it has little rubber feet but they are thin pads. Rona sells outdoor thick edge mats - those may work too - would not hurt. Time to get the engine hoist out to lift the Christie!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-11-2017 03:47 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
use the canadian solution hockey pucks

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-12-2017 12:54 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is an occasional problem I have with all Christie series 2 projectors. Power cycling the ballast has always cleared the error.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: