Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » 3D silver screen surfaces

Author Topic: 3D silver screen surfaces
Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2013 02:28 PM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is everyone using/installing, and are you happy with it?

Which silver screen would be best suitable for using with 35mm projection, or is it absolutely needed for one to keep a white screen for it? I would hope there are surfaces available that can be used for both (35mm projection and polarized passive digital 3D), but i cannot seem to get any real experience with these.

Any info appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-12-2013 03:53 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the 1950s, when there'd been a fairly large number of 35mm dual-projector 3D movies, I highly doubt they were going to take down the silver screens and reinstall white ones every time a house would go back to playing a 2D movie.

And Technicolor 3D (which I imagine is dead) uses 35mm and, since it's polarized, would use a silver screen and switching between 3d and 2d films was reported here as just requiring reinstalling and realigning the lens.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-12-2013 05:29 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some theatres which had enough height to fly a screen frame did install two, one white and one silver for 3-D.

MOMI in London had four roller screens, matte white, pearlux, silver and rear projection; I did see all four used at various times. I believe this arrangement was removed after it closed and became NFT 3, but I think it still has a silver roller screen for 3-D

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2013 07:16 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A silver screen will work fine with 35mm. The only issue is that silver screens tend to be significantly dimmer when viewed from the sides. Unless you have a wide theatre and a small screen, you should be fine.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-12-2013 07:57 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've done a mixture of Dolby 3-D on 1.4 gain white screens and Real-D on Silver, usually Harkness for both. I hate silver screens personally... But I do like the efficiency that Real-D offers...

Has anyone had any experience with the new MDI "High White 1.4 gain white screen that has a wide viewing angle? This would also work well for Dolby 3-D... It is pricy though. Harkness released the Clarius 170 which is a bit too high of gain IMHO but I haven't actually seen the claimed viewing angle specs on it like I have the MDI product. I also hear the Clarus 170 is manufactured only in France at this point in time so it is also no doubt very expensive.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: