Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Uograding NEC 2000

Author Topic: Uograding NEC 2000
Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-30-2013 07:15 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm facing upgrading a NC2000C still at v2.1 and hope to get some ideas on what versions I need to go through on the way to the current version. I'd prefer to not kill the ICP by skipping versions. Would it be safer to upgrade the ICP using the TI ICP/Enigma control software, or should I go through the NEC DCCS upgrade process?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-30-2013 12:30 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that is special. Honestly...I would do the ICP recovery procedure first and ignore the ACK errors and then apply the current release pack (4.204). Any ICP that operated below ICP 3.0 is likely to have a corruption issue which will not be fixed by updating the ICP.

NEC's update system is actually pretty darn good and do you don't have to worry about stepping through versions to get to other versions. Christie, on the other hand, DOES have versions one must step through on the way to others.

If you are nervous...then first go to 3.004 that will bring things up about half way and be on mostly stable stuff. Then I would still do the ICP recovery on it (remember to back up any important ICP files you may have created yourself (including your screen files).

Honestly, you could probably go straight to 4.204 but the odds of an ICP issue due to the lack of reflashing it would make me want to NOT revisit the projector again.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-30-2013 04:15 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with running the recovery. It's likely your ICP will crash during update and then you'll need to disassemble it to put it in boot mode and run the recovery. Run the recovery straight away and restore your file: same time, the outcome is guaranteed! [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-12-2013 02:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Steve said... had to do it on all the pre v3.0 projectors we sold. And it's not difficult to do. But you do have to go inside the unit to make a direct connection to the router.

Mark

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-13-2013 04:07 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... even though I discovered the NEC procedure is much more complex than Barco's!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-13-2013 05:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually used Barco's version on an NC-2000 months before the NEC program was available! It worked but I only did it one time!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-13-2013 06:21 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NEC's is more complex in the since you have to physically tear into the projector to get to its internal router and then go through a bunch of steps (only a hand full actually).

Barco's is easier...just enter some CLI commands and sit back, watch, wait and pray.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-14-2013 01:44 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It actually went quite nicely following the procedure I got from Steve at NEC: upgrades through 3.004, 3.300, 4.200, and finally 4.204 all using the latest DCCS version.
No problems except the channels/macros/presets/whatever NEC calls them were totally phuqued up until I restored from the full backup I took before the process began.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: