Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Seattle Cinerama will get first Christie 4K laser projector

Author Topic: Seattle Cinerama will get first Christie 4K laser projector
Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2013 06:03 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This should probably go in Industry News, but:

Variety

Seattle cinema to be first venue to get high-tech light source

Laser-driven movie projectors have long been a tech Holy Grail, but now they’re finally going commercial, as projector maker Christie Digital announced their first permanent laser projector installation in a commercial movie theater.

The theater taking on the endeavor is the Seattle Cinerama, owned by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen. The theater is the first to acquire Christie’s laser projectors after the FDA recently approved the system for sale to theaters. Seattle Cinerama purchased a 4k digital laser projector, and accordingly to theater manager Greg Wood, they plan for the laser projector to be up and running on their 68-foot wide screen in February or early March 2014, replacing their current Christie digital projection system.

Federal approval for laser projectors is required because the devices fall under the same regulations as laser light-shows, even though the light emerging from projectors

Christie says the laser-driven projector will put out upwards of 60,000 lumens of brightness. The exact light levels that will deliver in use will depend on the theater’s choice of screen and 3D hardware, but Christie says the system will exceed current standards for brightness. Laser-driven projectors are expected to solve many of the problems of dark and muddy imagery that have plagued digital 3D projection throughout the history of the format.

While laser projectors allow theaters the luxury about not having to worrying about replacing bulbs and cooling their projection booth, Wood said he doubted they will make matters much easier behind the scenes, at least at first.

“We are taking the risk that this is going to be high technical quality, and it’s going to have a period that we have to get used to and adjust,” Wood said. “Hopefully everything runs fine, but it is new technology.”

Wood said that the laser system costs considerably more than their current projector, but the theater management decided it’s the future of cinema. “We’re not doing this behind the scenes to try to save on bulbs or save on money in the long run or anything like that,” he added. “This is the best tech out and we want it, so let’s grab it.”

Audiences got a sneak peek at the new technology earlier this year when, in March, Christie partnered with Paramount to air a two-week public test of their laser technology, playing “G.I. Joe: Retaliation” at AMC Theaters Burbank 16. The test allowed the company to view how the technology would work in a real-world environment.

Imax has also jumped on laser tech, announcing in January that in 2014 three of its theaters will install lasers projectors developed by Kodak. Wood predicted that the rest of the industry will start adopting lasers in two years. “There’s just something magical about lasers,” he said.

|  IP: Logged

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2013 06:20 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And who is going to pay for the new toys?

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2013 06:31 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gonna go out on a limb here and say theatre owner Paul Allen, who with a net worth of $15,000,000,000 can probably afford it.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-26-2013 06:35 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With a net worth of an estimated $18B, I don't think it will be a problem for Paul Allen & co. to pay for this new toy.

I'm wondering though, if the speckle issues have been solved...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-27-2013 12:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that's the last of 3 strip Cinerama we'll be seeing at that theater...

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-27-2013 12:21 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
“There’s just something magical about lasers,” he said.
That's got to be one of the most stupid comments that I've heard for a long time.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2013 07:01 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I asked who was going to pay for all this, I ment when every theather in the country is forced to "upgrade" to laser projectors, if for no other reason than to use the buzz word "laser"? Then the next "upgrade" will be OLED screans. Again BIG $$$$$$$$.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2013 10:24 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
I guess that's the last of 3 strip Cinerama we'll be seeing at that theater...
The article states that the new projector will be "replacing their current Christie digital projection system," not their film equipment.

Their website says they maintain their 70MM and 35mm projectors alongside their digital projector.

As a matter of fact, they are running a three week festival starting 9/13/13, with the following:

3-Strip Cinerama titles
How the West was Won
this is Cinerama

70MM titles
Lawrence of Arabia
Spartacus
Vertigo
Sound of Music
Patton
Hamlet
Baraka

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: