Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Issues/Experience with Deluxe or Technicolor satillite distribution

Author Topic: Issues/Experience with Deluxe or Technicolor satillite distribution
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 08-17-2013 07:46 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For about a year, we have been receiving the majority of our content (trailers and features) from Deluxe and Technicolor via satellite. For the most part this has been a very positive experience.

The content usually shows up 4-5 days prior to the release for most movies and we receive all formats for each feature (5.1/7.1 3D 3.5-4FL & 6.5FL, OCAP, CCAP, etc) - in some cases as many as 16 different CPLs for a given picture. Since the projectionist letters are usually available on the Deluxe and Technicolor Digital Cinema Portals about the same time, I am able to start building playlists much sooner than if I received hard drives.

I have had a few issues. Besides the fact Sony seems to forgo satellite distribution, we have been having difficulty getting both Deluxe and Technicolor to check for satellite content before sending a hard drive when we open a movie late - or if the booking is made at the last minute.

My understanding is most content is kept on the servers for up to 4 weeks after the satellite transmission. In most cases I can call Deluxe or Technicolor and get them to push the satellite content to my LMS, even if they have already shipped a hard drive. But the people at Deluxe make this a difficult process. I don't know if the people who answer the phones just don't know how the system works, but they always give me a run around about how satellite delivery is not possible if we were not booked at the time of the initial transmission.

On a different subject. Because our drive-in is now digital, we are attempting to get both Technicolor and Deluxe to use the same satellite server to distribute content to our drive-in. With Technicolor films, I just take out the portable TML drive and ingest the content at my drive-in if I think we'll play it. Unfortunately the Deluxe server doesn't have this portable drive, and it's been impossible to get in touch with someone in their satellite department to talk about adding one.

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-18-2013 04:05 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen companies just opening an FTP server on the satellite receiver. At that point you only need to setup an FTP source on your server and pull the content you need. This is now the preferred solution for some providers, since D-Cinema servers have limited space and you may not want ALL the CPLs transferred on your machine. If you can pull what you need, you'll save some space.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2013 12:38 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About Six Months ago I signed up a few theatres for Deluxe's Satellite distribution. We have been told that we are "on the list".

I was also told that it is Technicolor and Deluxe's goal to work together on a system for content distribution. They are hoping to have a system in place within 2 years. Eventually they hope to go to Satellite delivery for ALL theatres in the U.S.

Trenton Thompson
Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2013 08:18 PM      Profile for Trenton Thompson   Email Trenton Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have called multiple times trying to get them to answer my phone calls. Neither one will reply to them. Does anyone know a way to get them to return the phone calls? The satellite would take care of our indoor theatre as well as our drive in. We'd just need one server system because of the fiber line between our locations...If you guys have any advice I thank you in advance!

Ronda Fitzsimmons
Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2013 12:44 PM      Profile for Ronda Fitzsimmons   Author's Homepage   Email Ronda Fitzsimmons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We haven't been able to get through to anyone either. We're extra interested in my sister's NY cinema, since the sales tax ruling there will exclude sales tax on film rentals delivered wholly electronically. For now anyway.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: