Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Christie Cine-ipm digital input modules.

Author Topic: Christie Cine-ipm digital input modules.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-17-2013 12:58 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do the additional DVI and dual SDI modules ever turn up secondhnd, and if so, what prices do they typically sell for?

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2013 03:40 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never seen any used, they are available new at a terrifying cost.

You could buy a new, much more modern scaler, with HDCP, HDMI etc for the same cost as one of those modules.

Honestly, the IPM is old hat. There is next to no support on it now from Christie and it is and always was a flaky piece of kit. Granted when working, it worked well.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-19-2013 01:44 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that was probably going to be the case. Actually, a dual SDI module has turned up on Ebay for about 900 pounds recently, and I have seen the prices for new ones. Ouch!

While I haven't done any projection for several years now I always found the Cine-ipm to be pretty good, at least with analogue signals; only one DVI input, and no SDI, seemed to be the major problem.

It nearly always worked with 'difficult' signals which other equipment didn't like, in fact I only ever had one real problem, and that was with RGBS from a SCART on one particular DVD player. It didn't like the sync for some reason and just wouldn't work. I had to get another player from somewhere in a hurry.

There's no way anything new is going to be installed anytime soon, but I need to provide likely costs for anything likely to be required over say the next five years. I won't be around by then, but somebody else will have to deal with it. Replacing the digital projector when the time comes will be the big problem for them; I've no idea how they're going to manage to meet the cost of that. Hopefully the present one will last for a while yet.

Can you suggest a suitable device, I know the models will probably change in that time, but it will give me some idea, and likely price?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: