Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » CP650 public address

Author Topic: CP650 public address
Anhtu Vu
Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2013 06:34 PM      Profile for Anhtu Vu   Email Anhtu Vu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just installed a CP650/DMA8+ with a new QSC speaker's system in our cinema room. Everything works and sounds pretty good so far and i have not even calibrated the QSC yet.

Does anyone knows if the public address on the CP650 has automatic limiter preset in the chain. It seems like it has very little headroom.

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2013 09:40 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the CP-650 has any type of processing on the microphone input.
I've always used an external limiter & feedback filter.

Is it possible you're over-driving the input?

I know you can set the non-sync input levels on the set-up menu, but I don't
recall there being any way to adjust the microphone input level. (but I could be wrong)

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-15-2013 09:54 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might also have the phantom power on.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-16-2013 02:47 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Anhtu Vu
Does anyone knows if the public address on the CP650 has automatic limiter preset in the chain. It seems like it has very little headroom.
What did you connect to it and how?

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-16-2013 12:05 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe you'll find that the MIC input on the CP650 is one of the few places left where one needs a tweaky tool (flip down the front panel). Other than level, there is no processing in the CP650.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-16-2013 12:12 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten asked a critical question: What is connected to it and how?

You MUST connect a microphone with balanced inputs (XLR) or a mic with a matching transformer.

DO NOT connect any mixers, preamps or other signal processing to that input.

Also, you cannot use the rear panel XLR and the front panel DB9 "Mic Mux" connectors at the same time.

Finally, if the sound is "tinny", lacking bass and dynamic range, you may have a bad mic cable with one line open.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: