Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Why won't USB drive mount? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Why won't USB drive mount?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-10-2013 09:54 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a matinee, I converted a DVD to DCP using the now-famous DVD-O-Matic. But when I went to transfer it to our server, the drive would not mount. I get an error message, "unable to mount usb/firewire device." So we ran the show using the DVD, which worked fine.

The drive is formatted NTFS, and it reads fine on any other computer I've tried it on...what gives? Any ideas? I tried all the usual rebooting, etc. with no luck.

Server is a GDC SX2000 and the drive in question is a Seagate 3TB. Other USB drives (including thumb drives and a 2TB external) can mount fine.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-10-2013 10:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
How are your other external drives mounted? I'm not sure if GDC can read NTFS formatting.

Yinghong Wu
Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2013 11:55 PM      Profile for Yinghong Wu   Email Yinghong Wu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use DVD-O-Matic also,it works fine for our server which is DOLBY DSS100.SO why not use ext3 with inode 128 to format you disk.

Frank B. McLaughlin
Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2013 08:37 AM      Profile for Frank B. McLaughlin   Author's Homepage   Email Frank B. McLaughlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used both FAT 32 and NTFS. If you use FAT 32 you will encounter a limited file size cap.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-11-2013 08:59 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found various USB drives that don't mount on some servers and projector touchscreens. usually a store brand or novelty drive. Try transferring the content to another drive you know works on the server?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-11-2013 09:14 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of servers have trouble mounting 3GB drives. Most of these dedicated linux or other embedded OS's are lacking support for drives larger 2GB.

- Carsten

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-11-2013 11:16 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad - all of the drives I've tried have been NTFS formatted. If you use FAT32 you're limited to 4GB file size.

I do wonder if it's the 3TB size that's making this drive not work. Carsten -- you did mean TB, not GB in your post, right?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-11-2013 01:42 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, right, 3TB. e.g. Doremis can not use 3TB drives, not via USB, not within the RAID system. 2TB currently is their max individual drive size. It's one of these addressing schemes that causes trouble every major step in capacity.

I guess their OS needs a major kernel or driver upgrade to support it. And don't these older GDCs still use a WIN XP base (XP embedded)?

I think current versions of Dolby DSS200 software do support 3TB drives - from around 4.3.x on or so...

- Carsten

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2013 02:16 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been having trouble ingesting content off the trailer hard drives of one of the major distributors of digital entertainment to my IMAX digital server. No problems with the trailer hard drives from the other major distributor of digital entertainment, though.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-11-2013 02:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, you can format ext2 or ext3. That's how all Hollywood content comes.

I know we ran into an NTFS/GDC issue somewhere along the line (film festival), but I've no idea if that was older firmware or what the circumstances were. I can verify Dolby and Doremi can read NTFS just fine, but I've never tried with more than a 2TB drive. There IS an issue with NTFS going over 2TB.

Dolby supports up to 4TB drives in their DSS200 software of 4.5.x and higher. The 4.3.x software did not accept anything higher than 2TB.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-11-2013 04:14 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm guessing that must be the problem because I have two different 2TB drives here and they both mount just fine. Only the 3TB one will not.

I'll try moving the DCP file over to one of my 2TB drives and see how that works. Shouldn't be a problem, I'm guessing, but I hope they come up with an update to allow the larger drives to mount. (I know I know...time for a new server)

Carl Hetherington
Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2013 05:31 PM      Profile for Carl Hetherington   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Hetherington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike and all

The 3Tb thing sounds the most likely problem, but just on the off chance I've had one report of a server which didn't like bus-powered USB drives, preferring those which had their own power supply. I've not seen this problem with my own eyes, though...

Carl

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-11-2013 07:36 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carl - These drives all have their own power supply.

Frank B. McLaughlin
Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2013 09:30 AM      Profile for Frank B. McLaughlin   Author's Homepage   Email Frank B. McLaughlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used a 32gig Lexar USB without a problem.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 08-12-2013 03:45 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike
If you are writing DCPs on a regular basis, I highly recommend adding a CRU drive to the computer where you're writing the packages - assuming it's a desktop. Doing this has saved so much time in terms of transfers and headaches with USB transfer rates and mounting.

Even if you were to write to the CRU via USB on your computer, it would still make ingesting easier. The other advantage is you can archive content you want to save.

To add this to a desktop, you'll need a CRU bay, a CRU carrier, a SATA hard drive, and an add-on card for your computer to connect the CRU (Addonics 2-port SATA PCI Express 2.0 AD2SA6GPX1). The equipment should cost you about $250-$300, and you'll have a hot swappable CRU bay.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: