Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco Lens adjustment question

Author Topic: Barco Lens adjustment question
Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2013 01:15 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Changing out the ceiling tile above one of my projectors the other night and bumped the lens on the projector pretty hard. Once the movies started the picture is now out of alignment with the screen vertically. Horizontally is fine, but the vertical placement of the image is about a foot down and the bottom 1 foot of the image shows up on the skirting below the screen. I can manually push the "lens shift" UP button and get it in its proper place, but after a format change or restarting the next night, I have to do it all over again.
The lens is still tight in the projector, no wobble or play, so more than likely I just knocked it out of alignment. Any way to manually adjust it myself without having someone sent from Atlanta to Nashville to twist a couple of knobs or screws? Projector in question is a Barco DP2K-23B.

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 07-24-2013 01:26 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First, "home and return" the lens.

This will move the lens the it's "zero" point -- that is, all the way up and to the left. This position is then re-associated with the 0,0 values. It will also recalibrate the zoom and focus parameters.

Barco Communicator:
Installation > Advanced > Lens Parameters > Lens Home and Return

The default user cannot perform this task.

On my projector (DP2K-32B) this takes a couple minutes.

If Home & Return does not restore normal lens operations, then you will need to re-configure your lens settings and re-save the files. But Home & Return ought to happen prior to making new files anyway.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2013 01:33 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, will this change my default lens files in any way? I really don't know my way around the Communicator software other than to poke around and look at bulb hours, etc.

Manny Knowles

- posted 07-24-2013 01:36 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. It does not modify your lens files. It simply "goes home" and recalibrates the home values for lens position, zoom and focus.

In theory, it *should* restore normal operations. But this assumes that your installer performed a Home & Return prior to making your files in the first place.

Worst case scenario is you'll be out of alignment and you'll have to call your tech. But you're already out of alignment, anyways.

Word of advice -- don't f*ck up. [Big Grin]

But seriously -- Make sure you're authorized to service that projector. This includes if you're participating in some kind of contract deal situation thing.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2013 08:33 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In heeding Manny's advise of not to f*ck it up, I called my dealer with whom we have a remote monitoring service and tech support, and they were able to get my lenses back to the right spot. Basically we started a flat show, paused it on screen, adjusted the picture up via the lens shift buttons on the side of the projector, then saved that position within the Barco Communicator settings. Did the same for scope. Everything worked like it was supposed to.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 07-25-2013 10:41 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would you start a flat show rather than using a flat test patterns?

One of the test patterns that's built-in on my Christie projector is a sizing thing that draws a white line around the area that a flat picture (or a scope picture) is supposed to occupy.

I would trust the positioning of a test pattern like that over a random movie or trailer.

Manny Knowles

- posted 07-25-2013 10:44 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy to help. Glad you got it back to normal.

It's not the end-of-the-world, but your tech should have first executed the Home & Return before having you make adjustments and saving the new files.

And, yes. Frank is correct -- the test pattern is the gold standard; not some arbitrary content.

Anyway, what's done is done. You're satisfied that it looks like it did before the accidental bump?

Good.

Now...on to more important matters: Please say a fond "hello" to the Cracker Barrel headquarters for me. [Smile]

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2013 03:09 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I never thought about using the test patterns, but that does make a lot more sense than the way we did it. The tech did "home the lens" - pulling the image all the way down and to the left of the screen, and then when the scope or flat lens cue was executed, it automatically returned right to where it was supposed to go. I am happy with the results. Even happier I didn't fu*k it up.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-25-2013 10:13 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As odd as it may sound...the "gold standard" are patterns from the server since that takes the full signal path into account...including any resizing that may be done. That said, most people use projector generated patterns...I know I carry mine with me in case the projector does not have the patterns I like to use.

-Steve

Manny Knowles

- posted 07-26-2013 10:44 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
That said, most people use projector generated patterns...I know I carry mine with me in case the projector does not have the patterns I like to use.
Hey Steve -- please clarify -- do you carry your test patterns as DCP's on a hard drive? Or do you carry them as files for the projector?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-26-2013 01:53 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-26-2013 03:07 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also use my own test chart and colour patches from the server. As Steve said, that is your final test.

Same with sound, in some occasions it is wise to run the pink noise chart from the server: that will overcome any manufacturer difference etc. etc.

Manny Knowles

- posted 07-29-2013 10:15 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the pointer. Makes perfect sense. [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: