Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Christie Vive Audio

Author Topic: Christie Vive Audio
Tim Asten
Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2013 07:33 PM      Profile for Tim Asten   Email Tim Asten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems Christie are now jumping on the sound system bandwagon, using ribbon speaker technology. Christie Vive Audio

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-19-2013 08:25 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the same folks that gave us. . . . Megasound! Louis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-19-2013 09:30 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And Sound-A-Around. http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/wareview.php?id=543&category=2 and Xenosound (Courtesy of Kelmar).

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-20-2013 08:50 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did a couple of Sound a Round installs....my boss at the time sold it to the theater owner based on the "pretty" paint job and displays.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 12-26-2016 04:12 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1255 days since the last post.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2016 04:12 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would get back alive this post. I set up cinema using Vive audio speakers from Christie, combination was LA4+S215 for screen channels, S218 for subs and LA4S for surrounds. All went bi-amp true datasat AP20 processor......first i listen to it with all eq to 0 and was relly suprised how it is sounds good, after doing eq some time aligment et it did sound even more natural to me.....after doing much standard JBL, KCS this was a two step above it!

Does anybody else did set up, or listen to any vive audio combination, so would like to hear impressions.....

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-26-2016 04:25 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it has replaced the dreaded EV DH1A driver as the single most painful sound equipment I've ever listened to. It absolutely ruined an Atmos demonstration for me.

But I'm glad you liked it.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-27-2016 09:58 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Steve. Especially for the EV comment.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2016 11:41 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmhmmmm.....did not heard EV in cinema here, but all jbl cinema instalations sound like Steve described for ev. Anyway, a colegue was with me and we were in cinema opening watched rogue one. Since he js fan, he watched it week before at local imax and told me this wasequaly good. For me, most most positive thing is that dialogue was clear and not distorted in higher levels, specialy when mixed with movie background noise.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-27-2016 12:11 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Give a QSC SC-424 or SC-423 a try. The phrase night and day come to mind.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-27-2016 01:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second using those QSC's.... I have a number of those out in the field and they are nothing short of phenomenal.

The Christies use ribbons for MF-HF which by their own nature are very inefficient and highly directional. They try to alleviate that directional by placing them in an arced configuration. LOL! The screen loss must be tremendous!

Christie's sole use of Class D amplifiers is also very bogus. I have quite a bit of experience with Class D going all the way back to the Infinity Class D amp of the 1970's and the only real benefit is the efficiency of it. Class D can not put out any peak power levels at all past it's actual rating, so you need to purchase a lot larger amplifier than you would normally need or you will not be able to properly deal with Digital Audios very high peak levels. Just like in cinema processors, when you hit that maximum level it's the same as hitting a brick wall.

Mark

Jay Wyatt
Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2016 12:18 AM      Profile for Jay Wyatt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Class D can not put out any peak power levels at all past it's actual rating, so you need to purchase a lot larger amplifier than you would normally need or you will not be able to properly deal with Digital Audios very high peak levels.
I'm no expert in amp topology, do you mind elaborating on that?

At least with the material I've seen from QSC on the DPA amps (class D) they claim to have improved peak output compared to the DCA line (class AB and H). Source

I'm not sure if this also applies to the Christie CDA amps or not. They appear to be OEM'd Crest(Peavey) Pro-LITE series amps based on the specs and similar front panels.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-28-2016 12:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All digital circuits in sound processors, recorders, amplifiers etc have a 100% maximum level they can achieve before you hit the veritable "brick wall level" after which you typically have nothing but lots of distortion. Digital amplifiers are much the same as any other digital circuit in that they can only achieve an absolute maximum power output level period because the switching devices operate fully on or fully off and generally at the rail voltages. You get around this by installing much larger sized amplifier than you might have otherwise needed in order to accommodate the peak levels. Digital amplifiers also have to employ output filters and these filters if poorly designed affect the high frequency and can create phase shift, delay and other nasty artifacts. The advantages to them are they can be very efficient, lightweight, and have almost no heat output... but generally all at the expense of sound quality.

The DCA is not a digital amplifier. It only utilizes a switching power supply and it still offers a peak ability above a true digital amplifiers "brick wall" because of the storage it has in it's power supply capacitors.

There are places for digital amplifiers for sure, I just don't think the cinema is the place. Air Force helicopters have had them since the late 1960's for the on board PA's and one of those was the basis for the design of the original Infinity digital amplifier around 1974!

Jay: This paper gets into detail of how a Class D amplifier works... [url= http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1274757]http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1274757[/url]

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: