Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » HDMI/DVD into Barco DP2K-10S

Author Topic: HDMI/DVD into Barco DP2K-10S
Fred L West
Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2013 06:03 PM      Profile for Fred L West   Email Fred L West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our digital is up and running and would like to get our DVD player to run through the projector as well. Not sure the DP2K will even accommodate it but there is a input on the projector. Any suggestions would be helpful on what's needed and how to begin. ALso wondering how to hook up our Star-sound, phonic ear model PE400T transmitter to our CP750, now it has 3 wires, red, green and black that worked on old processor.

|  IP: Logged

Jay Glaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2013 07:02 PM      Profile for Jay Glaus   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Glaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad this was posted, I'm looking to do the same thing as well, retro night at the drive in. I plan on using a blu ray but I guess its all the same. If I understand I believe I can run a feed into my imb on my barco, but I'll let some of the more seasoned at this clarify.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-15-2013 07:32 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can use the HDMI input on the IMB. You have to select this input either with a server macro or from the server control panel (I think, I don't have one here but I've done it). The IMB commands appear in macro editor (as "Certainty") automatically when the IMB is first connected. There are a bunch of IMB control commands, I have not tried them all!
You should have an HDMI source connected and powered before selecting the HDMI input. I believe the IMB hangs and won't switch if the input isn't active: software updates may have fixed this. I have had to reboot a projector after trying to select HDMI input with no active HDMI source.
I recommend adding a macro to set the input back to standard (DCP) in each server DCP playlist so you don't find out too late that the input is on HDMI. There is no indication of the input state, and the projector has no control over it: you can push the "FLAT" button over and over but you will have black with no sound for a DCP show if the input is on HDMI.
You want a special projector macro for HDMI. The input is IMB as usual but you should use REC709 color space for HDMI sources.
You can set up a playlist for HDMI shows as well that sets the input mode to HDMI then pauses, switching it back to normal after the show when you (manually) press "play" to continue the playlist.
Sound will be on the IMB output just as with DCP shows. I haven't been able to tell how the IMB decodes the sound (there's no Dolby license marking on the IMB) but in my tests with blu-ray it is 5.1 sound.
You may have use its menu to force your player to 1080p mode: I have seen a couple of players that output 480i when set to do auto output configure.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2013 10:39 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming it's a Doremi IMB Dave, or that it has an IMB at all.

The Dolby HDMI input isn't working, yet.

I've succesfully used this.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/852168-REG/Apantac_da_hdtv_sdi_HDMI_1_3_To_SDI.html

Fred L West
Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2013 11:05 AM      Profile for Fred L West   Email Fred L West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The system does have a stand alone Doremi server and the projector has the HDMI in connector plus many others. I'm not a tech guy just the owner operator and this may be beyond my capibiltys but wanting to try. We have a NEC projector that we've been using along with the 35mm but would now like to just use the Barco since 35mm has been removed. With the NEC we've been showing pre-movie slides from laptop and some trailers plus we show a few independant movies with the blu-ray. Would like to know the additional hardware I'll need if any and how to get it all to work.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2013 12:06 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In that case Fred, it's straighforward, as Dave described.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-17-2013 12:53 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a safe bet that he has a Doremi SV and IMB. Pending availability of the 10sx's (Doremi) IMS, Barco is supplying a Doremi SV/IMB server and 10s projector for 10sx orders. There is no SDI input card available for the 10s. The projector clone only has "IMB" as a choice for input source file.

Fred L West
Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2013 01:42 PM      Profile for Fred L West   Email Fred L West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, Your correct in what I have, does that mean I can't get the system to work as mentioned?

Thanks

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2013 04:47 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

I've installed them with Dolby DSS220/Cat745, and also with HD/SDI input board. It uses the standard Engima board same as the rest of the DP2K series. With the Enigma board fitted one only has to run the firmware updater and it will install the necessary files to use it.

But for Fred, what he wants to do is really straightforward.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-17-2013 06:27 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fred, you don't need any additional hardware aside from an HDMI cable. You just need to learn how to tell the projector to use the HDMI input instead of the server. Your installer should have configured at least one format to use HDMI. If not, you or your tech should learn it from the manual, or call the installer to do it and show it to you.

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-19-2013 05:42 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Fred L West
ALso wondering how to hook up our Star-sound, phonic ear model PE400T transmitter to our CP750, now it has 3 wires, red, green and black that worked on old processor.
Why not put it on the AUX OUT? That's where this should belong.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2013 07:17 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Fred L West
wondering how to hook up our Star-sound, phonic ear model PE400T transmitter
to our CP750, now it has 3 wires, red, green and black that worked on old processor

quote: Marcel Birgelen
Why not put it on the AUX OUT? That's where this should belong
Well, yes & no. The CP-750 has an actual 'hearing impaired' output, in addition to two aux outs.

The issue is that the CP-750's aux & H/I outputs are unbalanced, and as I recall, the phonic ear
transmitters have balanced (XLR) line and mic level input connections on the back.

Fred- - You'll need to make or buy yourself an RCA-to-XLR (male) cable to run from your CP-750
to the LINE input on your H/I transmitter.

Using the H/I output on the back of the '750 will send a L-R-C mono mix to your phonicearthingy.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-19-2013 06:49 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Cassedy
Well, yes & no. The CP-750 has an actual 'hearing impaired' output, in addition to two aux outs.
I didn't know any specific details about the Phonic Ear PE400T.
But you're right, the H/I output offers a mono "downmix" of the front-most three channels.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-24-2013 03:26 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can't set up an HDMI macro/channel on the projector since the IMB is controlled by the server (it's really part of the server) - not the projector. With Barco, you only have one usable input choice for the projector: "IMB". With a Christie projector you still have a DVI input with an IMB installed so you could use that for HDMI sources and set up a channel for it, but you would still need to instruct the server to swap the IMB input to HDMI to use the HDMI input. You could possibly do that in a roundabout way (a GPIO or ethernet command triggering the server to switch the IMB source, maybe talking directly to the IMB via ethernet?), but the easiest way is to set up a server playlist that sets the projector and IMB as required for an HDMI source. I've done this, and it works fine.
Warning though: it's way easy to have the thing stay in HDMI mode, giving you a blank screen and no sound although the server happily says it's playing a DCP movie. There is no indicator to show which input is active. Luckily a reboot (the default "ack! something's wrong!" action for most operators) resets the Doremi IMB back to the "normal" server source.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2013 01:04 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, just like Dave said, the HDMI input on the projector IMB is controlled by the server. I've got a Barco DP2k-23B running with a GDC SX2000AR server and IMB. In my "SMS" functions where I can either create or select a playlist, my installer set up an HDMI show template. Basically it just activates the HDMI input on the IMB. For some weird reason, when we select "HDMI" from the playlists, load show and hit play, the server throws up an error message that says to unplug and re-insert the HDMI cable into the IMB. I found out last weekend that if I just hit "OK", it works just fine without unplugging anything. On my control panel on the side of the projector, I've got a selection for "HDMI FLAT" and "HDMI SCOPE". I simply just select which lens format I'm gonna use and push play on the Bluray remote.
I do have a scaler that I use for the various other things I want to throw up on the screen, but in all honesty - for Bluray it's not necessary. I've got the sound from the scaler going into a fiber-optic TOSlink cable and running directly into the back of my USL JSD-60 sound processor. Very simple installation.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: