Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » "Reading" DCP Harddrives on a Media Library

Author Topic: "Reading" DCP Harddrives on a Media Library
Grant Chambers
Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2013 04:21 PM      Profile for Grant Chambers   Email Grant Chambers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So with our new Sony 4k 515s, we got a pretty hefty chipset to load all of our DCPs on to, then stream the DCPs via ethernet to the designated projector. After that, we jump on the "DASHBOARD" PC, which imulates each projector's UI through Firefox, so you can build and control each projector (11 in my case) remotely from one spot in the booth. Sounds nice right? Well, in a perfect world, this would be nice. But we don't do it this way because on the Server (chipset/media library), there is no way to "read" a DCP as you would on an IMB on a projector. The chipset just diplays the raw data files: xml files, uuid logs, etc. In order to really ingest DCPs, you have to ingest the entire HD, which takes roughly 30 hours on average, becuase you are copying absolutely everything. So the big question: Is there a way to "read" the DCPs on the chipset, or am I out of luck.

In other words, I want to be able to plug in a DCP Harddrive, look through all the different DCPs, pick out the ones I need, and ingest them onto the chipset.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 07-12-2013 04:29 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What in the world is a "chipset" and why does it take 30 hours to ingest a DCP?

It takes less than an hour to ingest a movie onto my GDC server.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-12-2013 05:32 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look for an option to display the CPL or a CPL column. This is the DCP title you're accustom to seeing (Turbo-2D-CCAP_FTR_S_EN-EN_OV_51-HI-VI-...)

Grant Chambers
Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2013 07:12 PM      Profile for Grant Chambers   Email Grant Chambers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Chipset is what they call the media library. And it is running off of Windows '08 Server. What I'm wondering is if there is a way to actually look at the CPLs on this thing, because all I see is the raw data of the hd.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-14-2013 03:52 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still don't get it...

If you access a networked library from the Sony GUI, either local or through firefox, the Sony will simply display only folders, DCPs or CPLs for ingest. Nothing special. You select the folder with the content you want to ingest, you choose package/CPL, that's it.

If you mean a copy process from the distribution drives to your library beforehand - I can only suggest you always copy everything, because without the proper selection check (like the Sony does it), you can not be sure that you copied everything that is actually needed for the final ingest. Don't try to do it manually.

Some people ingest on the Sony through CRU (very fast), then export from the Sony to the library. That way you can be sure that a valid DCP is written to the library. So use one Sony as the ingest station.

If you want it the other way round, you would need a TMS with it's own ingest and validation module. Even then you need to have some specific knowledge when importing certain packages (e.g. with OV and version files).

30hrs for a full harddisc import? Hardly. Not even through USB 2.0

Please keep up with proper terms to make understanding easier - copying content between a library and a server/projector is not 'streaming'.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-14-2013 04:56 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean what SONY call the "Chips Rack"? It's the TMS. You should have a TMS software on that server, which runs on Windows 2008. If you don't, I guess it's because your 515s were on version 1.00.00 and they could not install the TMS because it is not supported - that would explain why you're running each screen separately on Firefox.
If you run the TMS there should be no problems whatsoever.
If you do NOT run the TMS, which does not make sense, you're trying to ingest the content on the Windows 2008 library so you can then transfer on the projectors.
I'm assuming you have a CRU bay on your Server, that should not take 30 hours. Copying content manually can be tricky, particularly if CPLs are not organised in folders.

But, again, the reason you have a Windows 2008 server is for the TMS. And I reckon you can set a shared folder on your Windows server which is then set on the 515; then you may be able to push the content FROM the 515, which does have a CRU and - as you noted - it's much more easy to use than Windows. Or maybe access the 515 share from Windows.
I do know that SONY do not have FTP servers, and I think the key is to use a Windows share.

Jure Maticic
Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2013 02:10 PM      Profile for Jure Maticic   Email Jure Maticic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The way we do it on our 515 is to just copy every DCP to a media library/RAID configured as a FTP. From there we ingest it on to the Sony server. It all goes rather fast.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: