Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Does it exists a DolbyTrue HD/DTS Master AUdio to Dolby Digital (AC3) converter ?? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Does it exists a DolbyTrue HD/DTS Master AUdio to Dolby Digital (AC3) converter ??
Anhtu Vu
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2013 11:17 PM      Profile for Anhtu Vu   Email Anhtu Vu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to plug an Oppo 103 BLuRay coax output to a Dolby DMA8+ coax input. Of course the DMA8+ won't do anything other than Dolby Digital (AC3)....Does it exist a DolbyTrue HD and DTS Master audio to AC3 converter ?? thx

|  IP: Logged

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2013 01:38 AM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think a hardware device exists for your purpose. You would be better off with:

a) getting a player with 6 or 8 discrete analog outs and internal DTS processing

b) get a consumer receiver with DTS master or true HD or whatever is the hottest thing atm, and taking the 6-8 channel discrete analog outs

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-01-2013 02:53 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
For not much more than a DMA8+ you can get the Gefen AV Cinema Pro 3 scaler which has DTS and Dolby decoding.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-01-2013 03:10 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And btw, your player can be set to only play the Dolby Digital and DTS tracks, especially since the coax output won't work with stuff like TrueHD/DTSMA. Then again, I imagine setting the output to coax probably defaults it to using the DD/DTS track.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-01-2013 05:35 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crestron has their HD-XSP (now shipping) that will decode any of the formats, including high-bandwidth (the Gefen box Brad mentioned is only a low-bandwidth decoder, as far as I can tell) so you can have DTS-Master HD and Dolby-True HD.

Crestron HD-XSP

BTW...out of curiosity. Since the Oppo will decode most everything and provide a discrete output...why not make/buy a suitable DB25 to RCA cable and plug it into the "Film" input of the DMA8 +?

Anhtu Vu
Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2013 10:44 AM      Profile for Anhtu Vu   Email Anhtu Vu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies....maybe i should give you guys more details regarding our set up, anyways after much research and testing we settle for the CP650 and DMA8+ combo. It was the best compromise we could find, i said compromise because there was nothing out there that could fully satisfy our needs.

We need machines that can accomodate the following inputs with access to any of them with ONE button pushed.

1-DCP (7.1 via AES)
2-HDcamSR (5.1 via AES)
3-Computer/AJA (5.1 via analog)
4-Digibeta (Stereo via AES or Analog)
5-BluRay (via Coax)
6- 2 x 35 mm
7- 16 mm

We looked at the Dolby, Datasat, QSC DCP300 and Gefen, Barco and analog way scalers.

quote: Bajsic Bojan
a) getting a player with 6 or 8 discrete analog outs and internal DTS processing
b) get a consumer receiver with DTS master or true HD or whatever is the hottest thing atm, and taking the 6-8 channel discrete analog outs

The player does have analog out but we absolutely want to to go in the DMA8+ via coax

quote: Chris Slycord
And btw, your player can be set to only play the Dolby Digital and DTS tracks, especially since the coax output won't work with stuff like TrueHD/DTSMA. Then again, I imagine setting the output to coax probably defaults it to using the DD/DTS track.
Yes, i'm aware of that...if one uses the coax out on the Oppo, it will simply output DTS or AC3 so i will have the same problem therefore my quest for a DTS-AC3 transcoder.

quote: Steve Guttag
BTW...out of curiosity. Since the Oppo will decode most everything and provide a discrete output...why not make/buy a suitable DB25 to RCA cable and plug it into the "Film" input of the DMA8 +?
The Film analog input is already being used for the computer/AJA

The only solution i can think of was to put the Computer/AJA and BluRay 5.1 analog out on a patch....but we really would love to avoid such scenario as we want to access all sources with ONE button pushed.

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2013 11:19 AM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's why Yamaha DME64N is very popular in some places. Lots of I/O (64 channels). Might be two pushes of a button tho.

OTOH, it is already two pushes if you change things on a DMA and have to press 11 on the 650. Or is there a command to do it automatically with a change on the DMA?

Anhtu Vu
Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2013 12:06 PM      Profile for Anhtu Vu   Email Anhtu Vu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's why Yamaha DME64N is very popular in some places. Lots of I/O (64 channels). Might be two pushes of a button tho.

If i need to access it via two push than i will settle for a simple 5.1 patch bay

OTOH, it is already two pushes if you change things on a DMA and have to press 11 on the 650. Or is there a command to do it automatically with a change on the DMA?
Nope one push only...there's a way to automate the CP650 via the DMA8+....any button accessed via the DMA8+ will automatically put the CP 650 to analog input (11).

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-01-2013 12:46 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I come back to Crestron/AMX...one button push and configurable. You and I definitely do things differently. Note, we have used the QSC DCP and made our own relay based I/O panel that can expand an input...the DCP can activate the I/O panels so it would get the 1-button push thing for you. But that isn't what you have.

Personally, I wouldn't compromise the BluRay's sound by forcing the Coax solution...since you do HDCAM...the DMA8 was a no brainer since it will also do Dolby-E...something any HDCAM/HDCAM-SR house should be able to to handle.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-01-2013 06:45 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the DMA8+ (with no DTS) is the only option for you at this point, it's possible to rip the DTS-only blu-rays on your PC, extract out the audio, transcode it to ac3, then burn a new blu-ray using the ac3 audio. But that might be overkill.

Anhtu Vu
Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2013 08:46 PM      Profile for Anhtu Vu   Email Anhtu Vu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I come back to Crestron/AMX...one button push and configurable. You and I definitely do things differently. Note, we have used the QSC DCP and made our own relay based I/O panel that can expand an input...the DCP can activate the I/O panels so it would get the 1-button push thing for you. But that isn't what you have.
Can you please tell me more about the Creston/AMX. Which model ?? I'm open to any suggestions that can simplify the workflow of our projectionists. Thx

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-02-2013 06:31 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't so much of a particular model...one obtains the components that its the situation and then creates the interface. With an AMX/Crestron solution, the system can be cable of most anything, control wise...they are the ultimate in control but it is up to the person programming the GUI to make it user friendly. Again, I point to the AFI/Silver photos where you can see what has been done in a cinema environment.

Anhtu Vu
Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2013 03:10 PM      Profile for Anhtu Vu   Email Anhtu Vu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, I point to the AFI/Silver photos where you can see what has been done in a cinema environment
Can you send me a link to the photos ???

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-07-2013 03:23 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look in the picture warehouse here on Film-Tech.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 07-11-2014 03:19 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 368 days since the last post.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: