Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Non-Sync And Microphone at the same time? CP750

Author Topic: Non-Sync And Microphone at the same time? CP750
Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2013 03:46 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are doing our first comedy night on Monday.

I have set up our wireless microphones and everything is working fine. Only problem is the comedian has requested some music to play while he is being introduced and it is an integral part of his act at one point.

Can the CP750 be set to have Mic + Non-Sync active at the same time? So far I haven't been able to make it work and am considering hooking up his music straight into one of the amps so mic is through 750 into centre and his music plays direct through amp on L+R?

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-27-2013 04:03 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time is short. Get a minimalistic audio mixer with Mic input. The CP750 can't do it.

Something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/421981-REG/Behringer_802_XENYX_802_8_Channel_Compact.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/421979-REG/Behringer_502_XENYX_502_Compact.html

or a rackmounted installation mixer:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_PRICE_2%7c0&ci=12297&N=4294548689&srtclk=sort

BTW - Datatsat's AP20 has simultaneous NonSync and Mic capability, with suitable routing (NS to L/R, Mic to center).

- Carsten

Joris Springer
Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2013 04:21 PM      Profile for Joris Springer   Email Joris Springer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well replacing a CP750 with an AP20 is something I personally would not do. How about a mix panel where you just can connect your non-sync to with a microphone?

Probably cheaper than replacing your CP750 with an AP20...

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2013 04:35 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time is too short to get a mixer panel this time so I will just hack the music into an amp directly. But I will get a panel ready for.next time !

Edit...

A CP45 can do it can't it?

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2013 11:14 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gavin Lewarne
A CP45 can do it can't it?
I don't recall being able to do this on a CP-45, or any other Dolby Processor.
Every time I've needed to do what you're asking (mic & music), I've had to
use an external mixer of some sort & send the output to either the procssor's
non sync or microphone input, depending on what extermal equipment I'm
dealing with. I've got several small mixers. The one I find most useful in my
particular situation is a small 8 channel Beringer "Eurorack" model.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2013 04:15 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't speak for Dolby processors, but USL processors use the same analog to digital converter for both NS and mic inputs with analog switches in front. So, it's not possible to bring them up together. It's possible (though the GUI does not support it) to bring up mic and a digital input simultaneously (such as S/PDIF or Toslink). I think, though, that this would not really be practical in the field. You're probably going to want to adjust the mix between the mic and the music, and there are just not enough knobs on the front of a processor to do that. So, I agree with the other commenters here that a mixer driving the MIC or NS input of the processor would be best. There are various rack mount mixers available. I built some 30 years ago for use in TV stations (see TVA here .

Good luck!

Harold

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2013 04:27 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can always rent a mixer from a local AV company. They can rent you any cables you need as well.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-29-2013 10:46 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most cinema specific processors are not going be able to do this out of the box. With DSP based ones, I supposed most anything can be coded in.

For venues where people have wanted voice-overs (e.g. in educations environments were one may be lecturing on the movie/clip being shown), we have added DSP so that the movie and PA share the system but, as Harold has indicated, the PA has separate mixers (often just an Automixer and sometimes right in the DSP itself) to handle the PA. Thus, the movie and mic levels are completely independent.

Naturally, there are other ways of doing things.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: