Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Replace lamphouse mirror

Author Topic: Replace lamphouse mirror
Joris Springer
Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2013 02:00 PM      Profile for Joris Springer   Email Joris Springer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Earlier this week we had a lamp that exploded while it was being replaced, the lamp exploded in the lamphouse and took out most of the mirror.

The projectionist was not harmed btw, she has replaced a lot of lamps so it was not because of inexperience that the lamp exploded.
The lamp was not even close to the warranted hours (520 of the 650 hours, manufacturer is Osram).

Yes we recieved and installed a new lamp house already in the projector (Barco DP4k-32B) but I was wondering, can the old mirror be replaced or can we just say the lamp house is now useless?

|  IP: Logged

John Roddy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2013 02:46 PM      Profile for John Roddy   Author's Homepage   Email John Roddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a lamp pop in one of our DP-2000's shortly after it was installed a few years ago. Since we were able to claim a warranty on it, the manufacturer paid for a replacement reflector, which we received from Barco a few days later.

The lamphouse in the XXB projectors isn't exactly the same, but it more-or-less has the same type of parts in the same location. You should be able to replace just the reflector. It'll require taking the lamphouse apart though since the reflector is wedged in between the back half and the front half.

Joris Springer
Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2013 04:19 PM      Profile for Joris Springer   Email Joris Springer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are right about the lamp house not being the same, when it arrived it was first a bit of weird, I mean the new lamp house has a bit of a "fat ass" since she tilted a bit and I was a bit concerned if it was the correct part even if the box said it was for the 32B but it turned out it was a perfect fit.

To be honest I never knew it was wedged in between the front and the back. Makes me even happier that we got a new lamphouse instead of just a new mirror. I guess my question is answered, will relay it to the theater manager and well, the rest is up to him what to do with the old housing.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-27-2013 04:34 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can definitely replace the mirrors. I don't have a box here and the manual is not good for part numbers, but Barco will sell you the mirror set. Instructions are in the B series service manual.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-27-2013 04:42 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would definitely have the mirror replaced and the lamphouse stored away. One of the great features of the Barcos is the lamphouse.

It can also serve nicely for a quick lamp+lamphouse change to adjust different brightness needs between 2D and 3D by having two lamp houses with different rated bulbs - they will remain aligned in their lamp houses.

These lamp houses are quite expensive, though I don't know how much of it is on the mirror.

- Carsten

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-28-2013 01:55 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Easy over USD $4K for a reflector ...

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-28-2013 12:36 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't priced the 32B reflector set but the 19/23B (and the C series) reflectors are way under $4K US. Had an Osram blow up in a 19B a couple of weeks ago.

Joris Springer
Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2013 08:15 PM      Profile for Joris Springer   Email Joris Springer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, just one week after the bulb exploding after it being replaced we had a similar lamp (both 6.5K) exploding during the show. So at the moment we even have a replacement lamphouse.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-14-2013 06:58 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-> USHIO

- Carsten

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-17-2013 04:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a Christie/Ushio 6kw lamp explode in a CP2000 Series 1 Christie a number of years back. Took out the reflector, heat filter and Dolbly 3-Dee wheel. Back them some $20,000 dollars in parts damage alone. IMHO Ushio is still by far the best lamp made but keep in mind that no lamp is infallable.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: