Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Shrek 2 DCP Aspect Ratio

Author Topic: Shrek 2 DCP Aspect Ratio
Edoardo Ercoli
Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2013 08:22 AM      Profile for Edoardo Ercoli   Email Edoardo Ercoli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen Museum of Moving Images in NY has screened a DCP of Shrek 2 on jan the 6th, as well as more cinemas across USA. In Italy the title is no more available through the local Dreamworks distributor because it had been encoded in a non DCI format when released (it was made for Avica Filmsore Server, Mpeg2 Only). But in USA it seems there's a DCP of that title which can be rent. the 2004 edition was 1920x1080 MPEG2 and was full screen 16:9 so 1,78:1 Aspect Ratio, what about the re-release in DCP? Did they keep the original aspect? In fact I forsee 3 options:

1) They have kept of 1,78:1 and put thin black bars at sides to fill the 1998x1080 resolution of Flat DCI
2) They kept the resolution of 1920x1080 (which is accepted by DCI servers today even not a striclty DCI resolution, for example My Bloody Valentine DCP was like that)
3) This is the worst option: they cropped it at Top and Bottom to make the Aspect Ratio Conversion 1920x1080 original ---> 1998x1080 zoomed , rescaled and cropped

Anyone has had the chance to see it? Thanks to everyone in advance for any reply

|  IP: Logged

Michael Putlack
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2013 04:10 PM      Profile for Michael Putlack   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Putlack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're screening this in December. I'll try to remember to get back to you then!

Edoardo Ercoli
Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2013 06:29 PM      Profile for Edoardo Ercoli   Email Edoardo Ercoli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, will try to remember to contact you then, to ask about it. Thanks a lot for your reply.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-24-2013 04:03 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Edoardo Ercoli
1920x1080 MPEG2
Film version was in FLAT, thus this would be the correct lens macro setting for this DCP.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: