Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » External monitor, keyboard & mouse on a Christie/Cinelister projector

Author Topic: External monitor, keyboard & mouse on a Christie/Cinelister projector
Steve R Pike
Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2013 12:54 PM      Profile for Steve R Pike   Email Steve R Pike   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

Currently our Christie CP2000 projector has the Doremi Cinelister touchscreen built into the frame work.

The touchscreen is quite small and, with our setup, in an awkward position to operate.

What we would like to do,is to link up an external monitor (i.e a computer screen) to this system along with a keyboard and mouse so that we can operate Cinelister at a comfortable position.

My questions are; can it be done? if so, does anyone know the best equipment?

Also - if anyone knows ... we currently have a LCD screen on top of the projector which is our visual monitor linked to our DVD/Blu Ray and Satellite set top box (for Live transmissions). The only connections on it are HDMI and SCART. As I'm guessing (and I may be wrong here) that the monitor screen for the Cinelister is a standard monitor connection - can this be connected to a HDMI or Scart connection via a converter?

Suggestions welcome [Smile] [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2013 01:38 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have my Doremi Showvault IMB on a desktop monitor in the next room without any problems.It's using an Acer monitor and keyboard.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2013 02:56 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Output of the Doremi is VGA.

You can get VGA-> HDMI convertors, but in all honesty you could buy another monitor with the relevant inputs for the same cost.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-18-2013 06:34 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Just find yourself a monitor with a VGA input and connect it to the back of the Doremi. Same for a keyboard and mouse. It is no different than a computer.

If you can't get a monitor with a VGA input, this adaptor will work.

Steve R Pike
Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2013 04:45 AM      Profile for Steve R Pike   Email Steve R Pike   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone for your help.

One more question (and it may be a bit of a dumb one ... but who knows)... when I plug in a VGA monitor into the bottom VGA output connector will it work like a 'plug and play' monitor (ie. work first time) or will I need to install it?

Also, if we decide to go back to the small touchscreen, if i replug the current connection back into the VGA output, will it just come back on?

Sorry if these are silly questions - with my luck of technology this week I don't want it to mess up [Smile]

thanks again all [Smile]

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-19-2013 06:21 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will work without any installation, just plug it in.

The Christie touchscreen is remote access using VNC - it will not interfere with the cable connected monitor at all. As a matter of fact, you can use both options at the same time.

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-19-2013 07:14 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever VGA monitor you plug in to the server VGA output will just work fine. The image output is fixed at 640x480, so there's no reason to pay extra for a high definition monitor. Since 4:3 monitors are unobtainable now the image will look stretched... get used to that or change the monitor display mode to pillarbox it.
When you reconnect the internal monitor's jumper cable, the screen will wake up and display the image... unless it has been turned off. You can shut off the internal monitor: the switch is just above where the stylus clips on, poke something (like the stylus) in the hole. It's a push-on push-off switch.
You can not shut off the touch function: even with an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse, touching the screen will still move the cursor.

Steve R Pike
Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2013 08:14 AM      Profile for Steve R Pike   Email Steve R Pike   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone for your help [Smile]

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2013 09:45 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay
4:3 monitors are unobtainable now
Well, perhaps NEW ones are not available, but used ones are easy to come by.
My local computerguy has stacks of them cluttering up his shop that he sells for $10-20
each depending on how badly he needs to get rid of them to clear up workshop space.

I bought several to use strictly for 'machine terminal' use, since I COULDN'T STAND
the 'stretched' image on the newer monitors. (It was like watching a movie with the
wrong lens. I found it very annyoying!) Haven't had aproblem with any of 'em.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-19-2013 10:37 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, but our customers don't seem to like getting a used monitor with new equipment.
You can still get new 4:3 monitors but the prices are nuts, low demand makes them a "special" item... so we get a new basic 16:9 one when required.
I like the pullout consoles but they are very pricey ($700+) and difficult to sell when compared to a $100 monitor plus a basic mouse and keyboard.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-20-2013 06:04 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try the NEC AS171-BK...new and nearly 4:3 (5:4). Thinks don't look stretched, either.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: