Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » "Everybody Has a Plan" DCP - super quiet or just us?

Author Topic: "Everybody Has a Plan" DCP - super quiet or just us?
Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2013 02:14 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I came in to a note today from my co worker who was in yesterday. He said he had lots of complaints from customers about this film being very, very quiet.

Sure enough, on a test run today, the metrodome logo is normal, and as soon as it switches to the fox international logo, and onwards to the film its like someone turned it down from 6 (our usual volume) to 3.

Im running this DCP at fader 8 just to get a reasonable sound level.

This inconsistency is very annoying. Or, is it just our copy for whatever reason?

EDIT:

its playing right now. just went in for a listen, and fader 8 is not enough. even 9 still seems quiet.

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2013 03:45 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DCP isn't 2 channel pro-logic encoded is it? Try running a channel check clip to makes sure everything is working OK.

You're using DSS200 & CP750 are you not? You could try inserting a cue 'CP750 Decode Mode ProLogic' (or however it's worded) at the the start of the feature. Remember to send it back to 'CP750 Decode Mode Discrete' at the end [Wink]

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2013 04:08 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ill try that Pete.

The dcp has normal 5.1 labelling in the file name and looking at the cp750 panel all 6 chanells do seem to be active and at differing levels so it appears normal.

Everything else is fine its just this feature. I run a sound check sweep and channel test every week. Everything is working g properly.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2013 02:54 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're seeing channel activity on all 6 with it set to discrete, then there's no need to try my suggestion.

If you do ever receive a 2 channel Pro Logic encoded DCP the giveaway is only seeing channels 1&2 doing anything (L+R).

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-20-2013 10:50 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would a DCP ever be encoded with matrixed Lt, Rt audio when the encoded channels could (should) have been, if all that was available was a matrixed master, decoded and then authored to DCP with all the decoded channels descrete? That at least would ensure that a center channel would be present and avoid relying on the theatre to know to select a decodeing format, which I assume is rarely used and more likely to be overlooked?

Another related question, do most servers allow sound LEVEL cues to be inserted anywhere at will, or at least between different items in the playlist? For example, if indeed a trailer mix sounds louder than the feature, can a level change cue be inserted between the two? Seems like a simple thing that the software could easily do in the program build that would solve some very common sound issues....or does the DCI specs forbid it?

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2013 11:10 AM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank

On my Dolby DSS200 I can insert volume level cues absolutely anywhere. At the beginning, or at any offset from the start or end of a clip. This is what I have done with this film. 9 seconds into the feature it boosts volume from 6 (for the metrodome logo at the very beginning of the feature clip which has a "normal" volume) to 9 when it gets queiter at the fox logo.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2013 07:08 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,

It does happen, not often, and probably never on major studio releases.

Where I've seen it it in the indie/art house/festival/TV Documentary sector. Where the original source may well have been 2 channel encoded.

You can insert fader cues with most combinations of server/processor, assuming the processor is ethernet or RS232 controllable.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: