Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Stewart's "5D" screen

Author Topic: Stewart's "5D" screen
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-15-2013 01:05 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, this is covered in the RealD/Strong new 3D screen post. Forum leader, please move or delete.

The claim is that it works as well for 2D as well it does for 3D (I am assuming less of a hot-spot?). Anyone familiar with this screen? What does this 5D screen actually give -- other than Stewart's notoriously high prices?

If they have indeed been able to reduct the hot-spot...does anyone know how they do it? Or is it all just marketing hype, their marketing guys figuring if a exhibitor is willing to pay 3 times the price for a screen for no really solid reason, he'll believe a silver screen is not a compromise for 2D projection if it has a name like "5D."

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-15-2013 01:11 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no information on Stewart's screen, but I do really wish these marketing people would stop with the punny stuff and overall ridiculous marketing like "5D". What's the 5th dimension here? Does the screen stink like cow manure and they're counting that as a D?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-15-2013 07:29 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just stinking like cow manure would only make it 4D. Stinking like cow manure AND pissing you wet like a cow makes it 5D.

- Carsten

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-15-2013 09:07 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least they didn't call it "i5D".

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2013 05:02 AM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im sure it sacrifices in one area or,other.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-16-2013 05:08 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's a single surface, probably similiar to this effort:

http://www.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=001472#000000

- Carsten

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-20-2013 11:26 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I saw the Stewart "5D" screen; it was demoed yesterday at an arthouse new installation (Christie digital with RealD 3D)and, at least just looking at the surface close up, looks like any other ordinary silver screen (microperfed). And like any ordinary silver screen, the presentation had a distinct hot spot. Is it as bad as the hotspots I've seen elsewhere? No, but a hotspot nevertheless, and I changed seats a few times. It was quite noticeable with the trailer for LAWRENCE OF ARABIA. This venue plans to screen lots of classics, i.e., lots of 2D, and I imagine they were sold on Stewart's claim that this "5D" is a "special, dual purpose" silver screen that works well for 3D and for 2D as well. The claim, at least from me, is false. If I were to have to sit thru LOA for 3 hours with that kind of fall-off at the edges of that beautiful cinematography, I would be pulling more of what little hair I have on my head out by the handful. Not to mention it is 1.85 with no top and bottom masking, at least not with this demo, so I guess digital's hard edges precludes the need for masking, eh? In all fairness, it is a restoration of an old theatre with a limited width proscenium, and they do plan to run lots of classics including silents so they probably concluded that getting more height was the best compromise that would get a bigger image for the Academy stuff. Thing is, the minute you have to say the word "compromise," you then can't say "state-of-the-art" in the same breath, IMHO.

QSC speakers throughout, BTW, and that sound was NOT a compromise. Dialog was crystal clear and the bottom end was so intense that when the creature in the PACIFIC RIM trailer stomped it's foot down, you could feel the impact come at you like a tidal wave across your body, so robusts that you could feel it rattling your gonads. No compromise in the sound department.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: