Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Does DLP chip size have an impact on image quality? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Does DLP chip size have an impact on image quality?
Jon Augustyn
Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2013 02:36 PM      Profile for Jon Augustyn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Putting aside 4k and light output, do the larger chips offer better image quality? 1.2 > .98 > 0.69 ?

For example, on a 20' wide screen would a Barco DP2K-12C look better than a Barco 2K-10sx? Or maybe a better example, would the DP2K-19B look better than the DP2K-19C?

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-13-2013 03:20 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely existing 0.69" machines have a somewhat lower contrast ratio. Wether that is due to the chipset itself or compromises that had to be made to increase light output, I don't know. Other than that, I think you won't realize actual image quality differences between DLPs. Lenses, contrast, MTF, sure there are measurable differences, but from the patrons seats, I don't think you will see noticeable differences.

My personal criteria would be light efficiency/cost ratio (->1.2") or portability/lowest entry cost (S2k).

With the advent of S2k machines, the 0.98" systems are at an even less attractive pricepoint than before.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-13-2013 06:51 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From an installation standpoint...I've noted that the 1.2" machines almost always have a more crisp image (very noticeable with test patterns).

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-13-2013 09:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Steve, the 1.2 inch chips found in Barco B series and Christie 2220/2230 machines put out a better image than the 0.98" chips. I haven't done much testing with the 0.69" chips yet.

Still what makes more of a difference to me is a quality lens. Christie uses exclusively Minolta lenses, whereas Barco does not. So if you put up for example a Barco with one of their off-brand lenses (Fujinon, Infocus, etc) against a Christie where you are guaranteed a Minolta lens, the Christie will win hands down. With Barco only a few select lens sizes are available for Mintolas, and their B lens mount is a joke, inducing vibrations that effectively cut down the resolvable resolution, so again Christie's image quality wins again.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-13-2013 11:51 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thus, we're talking about the results of the presentation - like with audio: one can have the snazziest setup ever constructed, but you'd better get speakers to match the source.

Thus, it can look like what audiophiles do: work backwards with speakers first then the system to match.

Can this make NEC, BARCO, SONY and others be 2nd rate in presentation to Christie due to Christie uses the Minolta lens sets?

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-14-2013 03:42 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the most part,NEC uses Minolta too.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-14-2013 04:10 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't a larger chip size also reduce the screen door effect, at least if you compare two chips of equal resolution?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-14-2013 05:15 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That only works for the 0.98" vs. 1.2" relation - and that is why 1.2" is brighter and has slightly more contrast. AFAIK the 0.69" 2k and 1.38" 4k DLPs are based on the same production method and have identical pixel measures.

The 'relative' screen-door of the the 4k is 'smaller' than that of the 1.2" 2k, and that is also why the 0.69" have an even smaller screendoor, hence less light efficiency. Same basically for 4k 1.38" , but as far as brightness is concerned that is counteracted by the larger target/Xenon efficiency. And the reason why xenon is not the optimal choice for the small 0.69" imagers.

I have heard people saying that after an upgrade of their 2k DLPs to 4k light engines, the image had slighty less punch.

BUT - a very sharp lens also reproduces the DLP screen door/pixelshape more exactly and introduces less 'optical smoothing'.
A DLP pixel is not just a 'dot', but a complex square shape with spacing inbetween, all of these features show their own interaction with the screen perforation, depending on the projected size of the pixels.
I thus feel that 1.2" 2k DLPs produce more pronounced moire artifacts with typical screen perforations. Which is bad because moire is the only image artifact left in an otherwise perfect digital presentation.

Different quality lenses of course, for 0.69", 0.98", 1.2" and 1.38" (same as 1.2", but new high contrast lenses should be used for 4k) also do have an effect.

- Carsten

Frederick Lanoy
Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2013 05:20 AM      Profile for Frederick Lanoy   Email Frederick Lanoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Brad and Steve. We have changed a DP2K20C for a DP2K23B to get more light on a 3 D screen. The image looks sharper and i have the feeling that the contrast ratio is also better. Yet i don't really have an explanation for the last point.

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-14-2013 06:00 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I understand it...the .69" chips are based on taking the 4K chip design and cutting it into 1/4s so it should have similar issues as the 4K chips (4K generally has a lower contrast ratio and less "purity" on color).

As for xenon and .69 and light...it is all about the size of the "point-source" for the light and the aperture you are trying to get through. The smaller the aperture, the smaller the light source has to be for efficiency.

Morie is a bit more complex than some are making it out. Things that make it more pronounced are when the perforation size in the screen is on par with the pixel size. as the grids line up...Tiger-stripes develop. Since the screen grid size is based on the manufacturer's material and not screen size, it is all about the magnification of the image (larger screens will have larger pixels but the same size perforations...smaller screens will have smaller pixels but the same perforations).

As for digital's "perfect" picture...please...just stop with that nonsense. Ever seen a credit scroll? How about any diagonal line? Or SXRD trying to reproduce green? And the list goes on. Morie is just a common problem that most have been frustrated with, to some degree.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-14-2013 06:40 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I'm not watching movies for credit scrolls ;-)

From a normal viewing distance, single line aliasing is hardly visible, but moire can be visible even from the back seats, and it can be quite annoying.

- Carsten

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-14-2013 02:05 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
As for digital's "perfect" picture...please...just stop with that nonsense
Kinda shows that analog wins again, but who really cares?

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-14-2013 02:27 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't say analog wins...I merely point out that most every technology has its up and downs and digital is almost never perfect...for most things, it is an approximation. Its speed/datapath...etc. allow it to to better or worse.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2013 02:35 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But HD-DVD was PERFECT! It says so right on the disc!!!

-

Toshiba wouldn't bullshit us!

AJG

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-14-2013 09:02 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what baseline tests might be available to fairly evaluate lenses.

With all due respect, I'm pretty happy with the results of my Barco "off-brand" lenses, and with nearly a 500-foot throw, I detect no vibrations that might reduce resolution. I've seen the Christie output in a large screen application, and I'm not sure there's that much of a detectable difference. For all I can tell, you could chalk up a certain variance to installation & calibration quality.

I'm all for brand preference, and I have my favorites, but I'm not sure that merely being "not Minolta" is a particularly fair proclamation against Barco.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: